CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1987 cbr1000f fuel pump wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1987 cbr1000f fuel pump wiring

Hi,

I am almost finished putting my 1987 1000 Hurricane back to road worthiness. I have little experience when it comes to wiring and I am hoping someone could tell me for sure which wires to splice together. The old pump has a green wire and a black wire with a blue stripe. The new pump has a black wire, and a black wire with a white stripe. The old pump has a female plug, and the new pump has a male plug ( Seems like it would have made more sense to have female plugs on the harness, that would accept a male plug for any electrical components to plug into, but the new pump has a male fitting and the old pump has a female fitting ), so I need to splice the wires from the old female plug onto the new pump wires. The old plug I assume has the green wire as the ground. The new pump has the black and white wire and the solid black wire. I am thinking the green should attach to the black with white stripe wire, and then black wire should attach to the black with blue stripe wire. I would appreciate if someone could verify that, or save me from shorting out a new pump or worse.......

Old 11-08-2019, 05:46 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most people ditch the pump when it eventually plays up...Honda did with the MKII on.
Sorry if that does not help, someone else might chime in soon!

Old 11-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

According to the circuit diagram the pump should have a brown/red & green wire, so it sounds like you may be dealing with non-standard wiring. Green is typically the ground

A simple test would be to check fuel pump relay voltage with a multimeter. With ignition switch on, you should see +12V. If you see -12V, you've got the terminals backwards and hence can tell which side is supposed to be positive. Bonus is you'll rule out problems with the relay at the same time (I've always considered the relay to be more prone to failure than the pump in general)

The manual will have detail if you'd like more info

Good luck

Old 11-08-2019, 01:24 PM

I did think about that, but the bike has 8,000 miles, and is almost pristine. My thought was that it would be kept mostly original, and keep the mileage low. I did put a Yoshimura pipe on it, but I have the original exhaust and the center stand. At some point, I will put it back all original and put it in my office after it is back in oem shape. I have not ruled that out though. I have read the threads on here regarding that, but I guess I have not run across a definitive answer as to whether or not the bike will become fuel starved at high rpm. ..

Old 11-08-2019, 01:55 PM

Thanks, I will check the relay since it is a weak link. I have seen lots of great advice from you on this forum.. Jarvis' suggestion sounds better the more I think about it if fuel flow is okay at high rpm. Have you run an early Hurricane without a fuel pump ? Simpler is better if it works the same, and I could put the fuel pump back on when the bike is retired at some point down the road. Once it's complete and buttoned up, I will post pictures once I mull my way through how to post them.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I was lucky enough to get a good fuel pump on mine. I'd verified operation by unhooking a fuel line and directing it into a graduated cylinder. Get a watch ready and turn they key to on. I forget pump flow spec but it's in the manual. I'd always recommend making sure that the problem is properly diagnosed and going from there. If the problem is confirmed to be the pump, by all means rip it out. I've just learned from painful experience to always check the easy stuff first

I know Honda was one of the only OEM's using fuel pumps in the '80's, and it makes sense that gravity-fed would still supply plenty of fuel, even at high rpms. I personally think they did it to improve starting - ie it gives those carbs a shot of fuel as soon as the key is turned to 'on' which keeps the bowls topped-up. Just a gut feel though

Would be curious to see pics. It's always cool to see a survivor. Feel free to PM myself or one of the other mods if it gives you any trouble