CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

1000f h too old?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for that post cbr1988!!!! I know I did right in this decision.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 PM

If i may add to this discussion, the only mods i did on mine was the bigger (120\180)wheel rear and front fender. I just Love it, yes it does not have the racetrack ability of the specialized crowd these days but I had the pleasure to ride a triumph st1050, a kawi ninjasx1000 and it compares favorably to those, power grunt and all, the kawi has a faster steering but the st1050 feels extacly the same so much that my friend whom was riding my bike said he did not feel that much difference.

The advantages:

Low rpm power, no need to downshift on the highway to get somewhere.
Incredible seating position for the long ride.
Slow steering but very stable.
weight compares to what is out there today in the same class.
and it is still fast even by today's standards.

It is from a breed that is almost dead the gt's: zx10, katana1100,zx11,zx12 and others.
It is a great all aroud bike and very reliable on top of it.

I always have poeple stopping to come and see it when I stop somewhere and whenever iIride i get to hear myself say: God I love this engine. With a good suspension and good tires it is running very smooth.

If you want to race with it, it won't reward you but if you ride it smoothy it'll go quite fast without you noticing....

And best of all it has a real seat for your lady.

Just my two cents.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 PM

What rear wheel did you go with?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

@bjjrev most go with the CBR1KF 90 or newer wheels as they work pretty good all you need is a 89 or newer sprocket cover to change the wheels over to the newer wider stuff.

Dub

Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks! @cbr1988 I'll think about it... What is the benefits of the wider tire? Would it change the character of the bike drastically?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 PM

I just got finished taking my rear wheel and swing arm off... That was the last of the disassembling!!! Now it's time to clean and piece her back together!!!! Yay! Hahaha

Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be interested in these threads bjjrev.

The search button is your friend and with all the work you have ahead, I'd say it's your best friend

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-tos-8...7-88-a-121344/

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...e-size-122892/

Old 09-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen and ridden a good number of the newer bikes.
Yes, better brakes and maybe a few odds and ends but at the end of the day these old ladies are the best money you'll ever spend. Take your time and when it's done, take it up the road and when it hits 6000 revs you will understand why we love these bikes. The grin factor is amazing. I've had mine 7 years now, and like any older bike, they take some maintenance and have a few quirks, but nothing that would ever prevent me from buying another one should a good one come along.
As for your friends - pfffft ! - we have members here (hello Dad) who regularly race their 1000F and surprise people - much of the talk is just that - a good rider on an old bike that he knows well will generally outride a newer bike and rider every time.
BTW the "hero bloobs" under your footpegs won't be the first thing to ground when you lean it far over - the exhaust shrouds will scrape first (ask me how I know) Look at the amount of angle that is some time. These old girls will hold their own with anything newfangled out there and will do it for longer too. It's a Honda after all.
Straight line speed isn't everything.
Enjoy your build, and I hope you and the boys will be happy in the end. I wouldn't buy anything else.
You'll see.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Originally Posted by bjjrev
Thanks! @cbr1988 I'll think about it... What is the benefits of the wider tire? Would it change the character of the bike drastically?
Hey:

It gives you modern current technology radial tire selection for this bike in sizes appropriate for the power.
It is a noticeable improvement, more so with very good tires.

Only change is improved grip and longer tire wear, and the money from your pocket to an Forum, Ebay, or CL vendor selling them.

Dub

Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

These guys are all telling you lies, what you need to do with it, is bundle it up in a few big boxes and send it to me.

I'll take it to the local recycle center and get rid of it for you.

Honest.

I'll PM my street address to you, hell I'm such a good bugger, you can even send it freight forward if you want.

Quick Reply: 1000f h too old?