CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   1000f h too old? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/1000f-h-too-old-130583/)

bjjrev 09-08-2011 01:23 PM

1000f h too old?

In your opinion is the 1000f able to hold it's own in all aspects of riding compared to the bikes of today? Interested in seeing guys that ride these beasts views...

herbcbr1000f 09-08-2011 01:45 PM

i have ridden a cbr1000rr and i currently own a cbr1000f both completely different bikes( seeing how one is fuel injected and one is carbed) i have ridden my bike with 1000s and also other bikes and it does do well. the real difference is the newer 1000's are more race bikes where as the 1000f is more of a touring bike. Others might chime in and say differently but if your looking for a good all around bike i really like my 1000f does quite well in the mountains and also the straight aways.

bjjrev 09-08-2011 01:54 PM

I am in the process of building my 87 1000f right now. I have the bike and am really excited about the build. I just have guys that are telling me that for the money I could have alot more bike. I don't agree with them.

herbcbr1000f 09-08-2011 03:46 PM

what is wrong with your 1000f? Yeah it is true for the amount of money you could have alot more bike that is if your going to go to the track alot or drag strip. I honestly would never bike a newer 1000rr because alot of my riding is in the city and i hardly go on the freeway and only go in the canyon during the weekends. The newer cbr1000rr's are born for the track. You will have a fun time with the 1000f because i have a blast with mine and it does surprise alot of people when i tell them what it is. But in all actuality if your just gonna use it for cruising and the occasional canyon ride then the bike is perfect for you.

bjjrev 09-08-2011 04:18 PM

There's nothing wrong with it... Besides being in a box... Hahahaha! I bought a frame, rear wheel, rear brakes, engine, gauge cluster, and a few other things. Just a slow build with no rush... Hopefully a great reward at the end though!

CBR1988 09-08-2011 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by bjjrev (Post 1098027)
I am in the process of building my 87 1000f right now. I have the bike and am really excited about the build. I just have guys that are telling me that for the money I could have alot more bike. I don't agree with them.

Hey:

Have them cite examples, I own bikes from the 70s 80s 90s and 2000s mostly Honda's. I have owned or riden most other brands of bikes during this time as well. I have LSR'd, and Raced quite a few different types of bikes, I also hold Expert and Professional Racing licenses in a many different motorcycle/ATV specialties. Every time I hear this non sense it makes me happy as I know their will be a few good deals coming up from the fools that listen to these morons. It does not make anyone an expert if they own a newer bike, maybe even less so, as they are way easier to ride fast and require less maintenance or operator skills.

Many of the newer bikes have become very specialized and That is why bikes like the Busa and ZX14 have such a following as they can do many things well, and give you good bragging rights too. Pre injected bikes are a hassle as they take longer to start, do not fair well being left unridden, and require an owner with patience & maintenace skills/or money. Also most older unfaired or early faired bikes don't look like the modern bikes.

Here inlies your problem I see for you. Some of the key older bikes will increase in value as time goes on but the people that will collect them want showroom stock bikes. To make a bike like yours fun to ride you may be temped to rebuild it stock or mod it to be a better bike to ride. It is cheaper to mod it with newer parts and make it a better all around bike as to me the older CBR1KFs offer a lot of bike for the price. But they also need more things than just a few years newer bike such as wheels, forks, and body work. So if your buddies are saying you could have done much better finding a 90 CBR1KF for $250 than duh, but if they are sayin compared to a modern 600cc bike at $4,000+ then I think you know you are right in your thinking. These are a lot of bike for the money you will have in it when done, baring some major unkown issues.

Dub

And lastly bjjrev if you have any ? just ask, any parts or help send me a PM, I normally check in here daily.

CBRclassic 09-08-2011 04:46 PM

These older Honda's are really just a personal choice decision ...
You could not go wrong buying one at 250 bucks even if you scrap her for parts ..

IMO , buying a stripped one to rebuild, is prolly the hard way , because of the cost and availability of some parts for them these days ..

You really are wasting hot air with your mates as to whether you have made a right choice , because as I said and will repeat , buying these older Honda's are really just a personal thing ... you either want one or you don't ?

You could tell your mates that you are more interested in the restoration of a great classic Honda that STILL has much to offer even these days ...

I would tell them to save there raves about how fast , how they can corner and brake , ect ect ect better than the older bikes can ...

Just about anyone can borrow $5000 , and in minutes , jump on and be a boy racer would be expert ! , with supposedly ALL the right answers ...???

It takes a rather special person to go to the trouble to keep, maintain or rebuild a classic "anything" ( bike or car )

You will get to learn allot on the rebuilding journey that will be invaluable to you over the years if you keep riding and maintaining "any" motorcycles and YOU will have the satisfaction of enjoying the results of your labors with her ....

The 1000F's are one great CBR , that can still frighten the chit out of many of the bikes on the road today and with a good rider on board , they still shock the crap out of many newer high tech "ready to race" bikes as well !

good luck and we are always here ...

davethepom 09-08-2011 04:59 PM

I haven't ridden a new bike so can't give a comparison. All I can say is that my bike is fast enough to put a grin on my face when required and is great to ride!

It really shines is when the weather turns nasty. I've ridden in some wicked storms with lightening striking not far from the road and torrential rain. The bike just has a solid 'I'll get you home' feel to it that can't be summed up with performance figures.

Great bikes and good luck with your build...Plenty of pics please!

bjjrev 09-08-2011 05:12 PM

Thanks guys! You all are very right. This build is not just about rushing and building a motorcycle. It's about the time spent with my son building a bike that I've always heard about but never rode. I am def going back a stock as possible! Thank you guys so much for the info... This bike will be built by cbrforum just as much as by me!

bjjrev 09-08-2011 05:13 PM

And Dave... I can not figure out how to post pics from my phone!!!! Help?!?! Hahaha iPhone...