Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

Textile or Leather ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Textile or Leather ???

i got a pair of draggin jeans on ebay they look nice and fit well. i have not rode with them yet because the rain wont stop.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 PM

Great questions!

I started out with a basic leather jacket, jeans, and work boots cuz that's all I had. Then as the type of bike I got kept improving, my riding abilities improved as well. I have the Cortech GX sport textile jacket. This is a great jacket next to leather. It has a removable liner, ventilation zippers vertically along abdomen, horizontal zippers across the chest an back, and down the arms. It has CE approved armor in the shoulders and elbows and a has a spine protector. I also have the matching pants.

To get more serious, I also have two piece leathers that are considered entry level track gear. They are the ventilated teknic violators. In temps above 85+, they are hot when standing still. But when your moving you are very well ventilated. In my opinion it is based on two things that I consider when riding. I would want to wear the best gear for the type of riding that I am going to do. It's easier to have the gear and not do that type of riding than it is to do that type of riding and only wish you had the right gear on.

I heard this neat quote the other day....

I will not ride to carefully as I wouldn't want to arrive safely to death.

Apply it to your type of riding. I love the twisties!!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 12:20 AM

definetely leather

Old 08-10-2006, 03:33 AM

I have a ixon leather suit for the big rides, but when im out for a gentle cruise i wear draggin's and a textile jacket...I think Helmet and gloves are the most important you can have.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:43 AM

I'm gonna go against the norm here. Personally, I bought leather pants first. But to tell you the truth, how often will you where full leather pants when you are out with just your buddies, or are riding around town, or plan on using the bike to go somewhere like a store? Thats when I bought a pair of draggin jeans off ebay for 40 bucks. I never ride without them. I should have gotten a larger pair, cause they aren't very comfortable for someone use to wearing relaxed fit jeans. Don't get me wrong, I say buy both. When you are out riding hard on purpose, throw on the leathers, but it is better to wear draggin jeans all of the time, then only wear your leathers some of the time.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:27 AM

I honeslty am not a fan of leather...yes it has been traditioanlly the best but textile offers all that leather does and more....check our www.motoport.com and look at their pants thats what i plan on getting....something that is approved for racing and used by the chips is surely good enough for street riding....kinda pricey though

Old 10-22-2006, 04:52 PM

I have a pair of draggn jeans and I like them. They fit good and offer great protection compared to regular jeans but they do get a little warm. Like most people I cannot see me in leather pants although prob. the best protection.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:35 PM

It really depends on the application you are looking for. In my case being military, I have to wear pants, boots, gloves, helmet and a reflective vest. I am not to hot on the whole reflective vest part. I bought a nice leather riding jacket while I was stationed in the UK, I have 2 sets of gloves(summer and winter) and I am working on the boots. If you are just going to commute save a couple bucks and go with textile. That is my personnal option.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:20 PM

Why do just HAVE to talk bad about the CREW????? Just kidding, I have the ICON TiMax Textile pants and jacket and really like the both of them. I also have a leather jacket and for some reason in the dead of summer the LEATHER is actually cooler to ride in. I am not sure if it is the stiffness of the leather creating better airflow around my torso or what but I still lean towards the ICON.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:34 AM

Leather works!!(I still have the jacket,gloves, and boots to prove it. The dockers I had on didn't do anything to prevent the abrasion to the knee) I was only 1 mile from home on a Sunday, when cager turned left in front of me @ intersection ( and cager didn't get a ticket?!?!). [sm=rant.gif] I don't know about you, but, a friend of mine has a saying:"I would rather sweat than bleed", and after the "incident" I was involved with, it now makes even more sense to me than it did before.(just my .02).[8D]

Quick Reply: Textile or Leather ???