Aftermarket Discuss aftermarket upgrades to your CBR here.

Steering Damper

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SVBS
or you can just get a newer RR with HESD
Well, yeah that'd be cool... Loan me the cash?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:01 PM

maybe after I finished paying off my HESD ? :lol:

Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by SVBS
maybe after I finished paying off my HESD ? :lol:

Old 09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you guys do some serious stunts or track riding, a damper is worthless.
Cuts down on your turning radius, and makes it much more stiffer.

I only use one on my track bike because of heavy riding on track. On the street it's worthless to me, even in the twisties.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
ive had my 929 headshake pretty bad a couple of times , not fun..i wouldnt say its worthless on the streettho..JMO

Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
Cuts down on your turning radius, and makes it much more stiffer.

I only use one on my track bike because of heavy riding on track. On the street it's worthless to me, even in the twisties.
I have to disagree that dampers are useless on the street. Some bikes need them where others do not. Most 929's and 954's can benefit from a damper because the front end is so light and these bikes like to lift the front wheel under hard acceleration. Coming out of corners hard when the bike wants to bring the front end only an inch or so off the ground is when dampers help. You may not notice the tire is off the ground and when it does touch back down if you moved the handlebars it can cause a jerk. The damper slows the handlebar movement side to side helping you maintain control of the bike. I also like mine for interstate riding around big trucks or in heavy traffic. When I first rode my 954 on the interstate it scared the crap out of me. I thought something was wrong with the bike. It shaked so much over 70mph in heavy traffic that I had to slow down or speed up and get away from traffic. I set my damper very stiff on the interstate to reduce fatigue in my arms. Without the damper my arms would hurt since I had to keep them so stiff to maintain control of the bike. Now I can ride with one hand at high speed around big trucks with no problems.

I also believe my damper saved me from a high side crash about 2 weeks ago. I was riding in a group and coming out of a sweeping/sloped uphill curve just as the road started to level out the back tire lost traction. The bike tire stepped out about a foot to my right but since I was only going about 40mph I stayed in the throttle. When the tire regained traction it snapped the bike back straight causing my left hand to come off the grip. I feel that having my GPR V4 damper set stiffer that day saved me from a bad crash. The damper slowed the bikes reaction just enough to allow me to keep control.