600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

I want fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant imagine how you think this could POSSIBLY be cheaper than the difference between your selling price on yer f2 and yer buyin price on an f4i .
itll cost you moreMONEY for the parts and custom fab engine work-
itll take a ridicolous amount of TIME to put together sumthin thats fer sure gonna have probles unforseen as of yet...
and in the end, youve got a more expensive , heavier, worse handling, bike than an f4i. are you set on the LOOKS of your f2 or somethin?
and the worst part is- in the end- you cant even be proud and show it off to your buddies and have them be all jealous or anything cause thell just be like "reallyy... why? i mean good job and all but..."
sorry- you asked for how to's . and you dont wanna be told not to< but if its a money thing? youre not gonna win... i admire your ingenuity and stuff though, im the same way- i just sunk more and more cash bit by bit, into building my own carbon belly-pan. at this piont i coulda just about bought one and itd be smoother and have mounting points and tabs! haha.im happy to be learning stuff and thats worth a lot. but its helped me to know when its better to just buy one on ebay-
seriously- maybe its not the advise you want to hear but when you ask people who know their stuff and they give you their advise maybe you should consider it-
i just payed 2000 for my f4- its not an i but you can find one for not so much more than that . youll be happier with the better bike and it wont be a money pit. (hopefully)
whatever you decide i wish you good luck. seriously i do admire that you want to make this thing happen! thats cool.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:46 AM

i just reread you and realized you already came to the same conclusion.
oops.
well ill post picks soon of my 90 hour 200$ right side belly pan...

Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
July 2010 ROTM

i only paid 900$ for my f4i and its an 04

Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 PM

where you pickin up an f4I for $900? I live in fort wayne Indiana and i can't find anything worth a ***T for under $2000. If I could find one that cheap I prolly would've bought it cuz I paid a grand flat for my 94 F2 last season and it was the best deal i could find in the area. After tax season i will have bout 2-3 grand to work with for buyinng another bike so i could get one in my area but would love to find one for $900 and dump some loot into it.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vangill
i only paid 900$ for my f4i and its an 04
Hardly what I would call a benchmark.

Around here you're looking at $3,000 and up for a decent 04 f4i.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 AM
July 2010 ROTM

yeah mine was wrekcked, but somehow i just got lucky finding good deals. i got it in ar. the bike only had 5000 miles on it, but it had a thrown rod, the guy was an idiot and laid it over and the stator cover leaked oil out and he never refilled it. i got a new engine for 500 shipped to me with 10k miles. and then i just started fixing everything up, but i promise, its easier to just get a working bike. my poblem now is i have a spare engine in my shed and i just want it gone.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 PM

if you come by the parts for dirt then i say give it a try,,, if not then read the above , buy a FI bike and be done with it. youll spend more time and money to olny have a bike with issues .... goood luck either way... i love to tinker too, but if i had to spend yer money i wood look for another bike...JMO

Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Default If you have time

You can convert it to FI using megasquirt. You'll need some sort of cam/crank position pickup, manifold temp sensor, engine temp sensor, oxygen sensor, ignition control, fuel pump and a set of throttle bodies.

I was going to do this on another bike, but sold it to a friend for his project pile.

This is a very doable project, the main expense is the megasquirt and sensors. Throttle bodies are pretty cheap on ebay. The trick is finding some that will bolt up. Offhand, I'd guess that the f4i bodies will probably be compatible, but I'd look for verification of it.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Just to egg the fight on a little more here: Why do you even WANT fuel injection? It's got just as many downsides as carburetors, so something has to have pushed you in this direction. . .