600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

DOT approced turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOT approced turn signals

I am in the military and i have to have dot approved everything and i am having a hard time finding turn signals that are dot approved?? I really would like to remove the stock front and rear signals because they stick out and take away from the look of my bike. I also want to get rid of the license plate holder because it is way to big. any help in pointing me in the right direction?? thanks

Old 07-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: DOT approced turn signals

Well, the good news is there are some short stalk lights out there that are DOT approved. The bad news is, you'll probably have to look around to find them. Flush mounts are generally not DOT approved because of the visibility issue (doesn't stick out far enough from the bike like the OEM signals do).

What base are you stationed at? Most bases don't hassle you about what's DOT approved or not; they figure as long as you have a license and registration, all those issues were dealt with "downtown" at the DMV. You only have to worry about the local constabulary if you get pulled over.

I've had short stalks on my bike for about a month now and I've not been pulled over by LAPD or CHP yet. I just ordered a fender eliminator bracket (not full undertail), and I've seen plenty of folks riding around with those on base. As long as your license plate is visible (not tucked under the rear fender and difficult to see), you should be okay.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:13 AM

thanks for thw info. i am stationed in hawaii at sachofield and they are very stricked on what we can and can not do with modifying our bikes. they want us to have dot approved everything. i found a really nice license plate holder but it eliminates the white light above the plate which i dont know if they will give my **** for. as for the shories i have been searching for the dot approved ones but i am having no luck what so ever. again thanks for the info

Old 07-11-2006, 02:30 AM

check dennis kirk they have them u might need some fairing modifications (drilling holes)...i have the tail completely shaved and have 2 metal brackets coming down holding the licence plate and holes drilled on the side of them for the blinkers...