600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

Can I TURBO my '87 Hurricane ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so turbo seems out......but what about nos? or is that not worth it?
ive heard these cbr motors can take a serious beating (not that i support bike beating)

oh and i agree with the whole busas not handling corners, its usually not the bike that cant do it, its the guys who get talked out of a 600 cuz its not cool to ride less than a liter.......an atittude id love to see go away,

had an 1100 katana once, i weigh 165 soakin wet....ill stick with my 600 hurricane

Old 10-10-2009, 05:28 PM

A turbo or nos can be done but it is kinda like polishing mouse turds to a high lustre...all you have is shiny mouse turds when you are done. The money and effort invested would be a great educational explerience but might not reap the benefits you imagine going in.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:07 PM

eh, i was just curious to see if the cbr motors could handle it, i feel like mines fast enough dont give much of a **** if what anyone else thinks of it,

theres tons i could do to make it faster, my dad had an old 78 KZ 650, had a big bore kit, then the big bore was bored (paper cylinder walls)

it was cammed, new valves, etc etc the works....

but then it was a very high strung bike, you couldnt ride it calm, it was all out or not at all, personally i kinda like my hurricane's reliability

Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense, but why would you even want to do this stuff to a 20-year-old bike? Even if you get the engine sooped up, you're still sitting on an old frame.. with outdated components... crappy suspension... etc, etc.

I'm just thinking out loud but I can't see why you'd put all that time and money in at all...

Old 10-12-2009, 03:31 PM

what current mods does your cane have?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:32 PM

Right now shes got those expensive hi grade plugs, full synthetic oil,
(but those obviously arent mods)

Shes Got a Vance and hines SS2R full exhaust, K&N Filter, and a Dynojet Stage 3 Jet kit, thats it for now

for the record tho, i dont plan to nos this bike, just curious if she could take it or not, and to address the 20 years old, i have a friend that works at a honda dealer, he looked her over and said shes as solid as the day she was built, he begged me to ride it, i said no way but i say age has nothing to do with care, ive seen 2000 + model year bikes in worse shape than mine, not out to argue or prove anything, i just like to know my ride is solid, doesnt hurt knowin someone at a dealership either

Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM

I was just talking about a 20-year-old bike in the context of spending a bunch of money on mods.

You could:

a) Put all that time and effort into further modding and old and obsolete bike.

b) You can save that time and money and put it toward a newer bike that will handle and perform better than the old bike you modded.

Your bike could be in mint condition, and maybe it is, but the fact remains that even a 10-year-old bike is going to blow it out of the water in performance.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
No offense, but why would you even want to do this stuff to a 20-year-old bike? Even if you get the engine sooped up, you're still sitting on an old frame.. with outdated components... crappy suspension... etc, etc.

I'm just thinking out loud but I can't see why you'd put all that time and money in at all...

Why is there an iPod Linux port?
http://www.ipodlinux.org/

Why did this guy make a COSMAC Elf emulator?
http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bill_r/c...simulators.htm

Why is anything anything?
http://wiaa.ytmnd.com/

Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
I was just talking about a 20-year-old bike in the context of spending a bunch of money on mods.

You could:

a) Put all that time and effort into further modding and old and obsolete bike.

b) You can save that time and money and put it toward a newer bike that will handle and perform better than the old bike you modded.

Your bike could be in mint condition, and maybe it is, but the fact remains that even a 10-year-old bike is going to blow it out of the water in performance.

not necessarily true tho, if you know your machine, have better skills and more guts than the other rider, i raced an old friend he had a 98 suzuki katana 750, and since i was lighter (frame and such) i blew his fairings off,

granted I may not be able to touch a newer cbr, but thats provided the guy knows what to do with it, and has the stones to use it,

i dont want to fight, all im saying is the bike can be as good as you can afford to spend, and how much you like it, its not always how powerful its how well you know it, and how you take care of it has alot to do with it

my dads old 78 Kz650 was a tank, and used to PLAY with ninjas, Katanas
(as much as i hate to say it, if he still had the bike, it would have taken my 'Cane) and those were atleast 10 + years older than his
(it was also modded crazy tho, cam, carb work etc etc)

the compression was so high on that bike, you had to kick it, elec starter was USELESS, and you had to weigh enough to even kick it, i couldnt do it until i was 13 (was overjoyed when i finally got heavy enough)

i just always say, dont count it out for age, condition is way more important

Old 10-15-2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by hurricane_cbr87
i just always say, dont count it out for age, condition is way more important
Yea I don't think so. Agree to disagree though, I suppose. GL

Quick Reply: Can I TURBO my '87 Hurricane ?