600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Vortex Frame Slider Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex Frame Slider Issue

Ok, I bought a pair of Vortex frame sliders, with the puck and base included. I have a 2005 honda cbr600rr. I went to install the sliders and tried to get a socket to fit the new bolt that is suppose to replace the engine bolt. My 3/4in. deep socket will fit the bolt but the socket was to wide to fit in the puck that the bolt slides into. My problem is that I can't find a 3/4 socket that is thin enough to fit in the hole in the puck to tighten it. There is maybe an 1/8in clearance from around the bolt to the side of the inside puck wall. Every socket I have tried was to thick to fit in the puck. Was I sent the wrong set of bases (which is what the bolt came in) which is specific for my bike? Or, am I doing something wrong? Has any one with an 05' had this problem with Vortex sliders?
Thanks,
Austin

Old 05-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Vortex Frame Slider Issue

I had the same problem. One option, what I did, is to grind down each side of the head of the bolt to a smaller size. I made mine into an 18mm head. Some people might say not to do this, saying it may weeken the bolt but I havent had any problems with it at all. Just dont take too much off the bolt.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Default RE: Vortex Frame Slider Issue

Yeah, after a full day of running around trying to find a socket that fit, my dad called me and said he had one that fit. I was using a brand new set of Huskey sockets and they were just to fat. Finding a 3/4inch thin wall, deep socket is hard to find I guess. I'm not sure what brand my dad had but they work great! I would recomend using a torque wrench if you can also. I would not recomend grinding the bolt down. Now my only problem is getting that bolt out of the right side. It is hard as hell to get a wrench behind the bolt so that it won't slip. I might have to take off the exaust.
Thanks,
Austin