600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

up grade my ecu

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default up grade my ecu

I have a 2008 CBR600RR and I am thinking about upgrading my ecu and wiring. I am wondering if anyone knows any good places to check out prices or brand names that would be good to look for. My bike is in hawaii so if anyone on here is from there and knows any of the local shops to hit up let me know.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Default RE: up grade my ecu

Why are you looking to upgrade your ECU? Have you looked into a power commander, or is there something specific you are trying to do that you cant do with a PC?

-Adam

Old 01-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Yes, Why???

To actaully upgrade the ECU itself and the harness, you're going to spend big $$$$ The HRC combo (ECU, RACE HARNESS, SOFTWARE, ETC...) will run at least $2000 + (if you find it used), or you can spend upwards of $10,000+ on a Motec or Magnetti Marnelli & custom Harness....

Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 AM

I really dont know thats why I am asking. My buddy who knowsmore about this stuff then I do says that the over all benefits with the ECU upgrade are better then with a power commander. Can anyone tell me what a new ECU would improve and what a new power commander would. I have heard that a new ECU would improve almost everything on the bike, top speed, acceleration and more.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM

Honestly your "buddy" needs to do a little more research on the subject...

The only time you will really benefit from a new ECU is if you're:
A) Doing major engine and/or fuel injection modification - and by major I mean changing bore/stroke, supercharging/turbocharging, different throttle bodies, etc... a air filter and exhaust system don't even come close to requiring it...
B) Adding things like traction control, pit lane speed limiters, on the fly timing adjustment, data acquisition system, etc...

On top of that, unless you have access to someone with real experience tuning replacement ECUs, they are infinitely easier to screw up very badly and cause serious and even catastrophic problems/failures with the bike if not set-up right.

In my experience a piggy back unit (PCIII, Bazzaz F-Fi, Yosh, etc...) and it's accessorieswill do perform 90% of the functions a full ECU and will do it for well less than 1/2 the cost and complexity all said and done. 99.9% of the riders out there will not be able to tell any difference between the two, and that 0.1% are professional and paid to ride...

If you want better overall performance out of the bike, the best way to do that is to upgrade the nut between the handlebars and the seat...

If you want more acceleration - change the gearing - that'll make way MORE difference than a ECU or piggy back ever would.
Top Speed - same -change the gearing... but remember when it comes to gearing more top speed = less acceleration & more acceleration = less top speed...