600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006 | 01:30 AM
Default RE: TURBO

+1 and more power to you on the turbo!!! lol literally

Old 10-10-2006 | 12:21 AM

600cc = .6 liters = 36.6 cubic inches
engine compression is 12:1

Bikes are very high compression meaning you need tons of fuel and High octane grade
for it not to blow up. To do it right you need a way to program your computer.
For Turbos a t25<14b both come off 2liter motors 91-97 Turbo Eclipse/talon/lasers
I think they would be too big for .6liters
Try a single turbo off a mitsu 3000gt or dodge stealth (twin setup)

PGMFI.org
all about programming auto computers, might come in handy

majestic turbo
Really know turbos Bikes and cars, they built 3 of mine

Dragbikes.com
ReadUp!

HomeMadeTurbo

the MacGyvers of the turbo

Old 10-10-2006 | 06:06 PM

sorry i have had problems logging in for a while. the t25 would make more power than your engine could handle. it would be laggy and the come on hard on the top end. an alternative to the ihi vj11 would be a kkk k03 from a volkswagen or audi 1.8t or one turbo from audi s4. my bike is on the back burner untill the management system i want comes out which should be soon. it definately pulls hard but i dont want to damage anything and dont trust "hack" management systems such as the power commander or safc. some people have been successful tuning just the fuel and kicking the timing back but i prefer to adjust my full curve. on an engine this small and compression being high, timing must be very conservative to make it live reliably. i plan on runing the bowling and grippo "microsquirt". then all ignition timing and fuel calculations are fully tunable. the computer should be around the $500 range which makes it very desireable. all info can be found at www.diyautotune.com.

Old 10-10-2006 | 06:08 PM

so far i have about $400 plus a lot of time into the turbo on my bike.

Old 10-12-2006 | 09:39 AM
Retired Moderator

I would be afraid that 15,000 RPM's of exhaust is spooling that turbo to such a speed that if it were to fail.........there goes a limb off your body. Plus, I would think that turbo lag would suck on a bike (but they are high-revving, so maybe it's not that bad). But still, 600's are not built for forced-induction putting stress and whatnot on a motor that was in no way designed to accept a turbo in the first place.

In other words, I would say that a Turbo is a very BAD idea. Sounds like it would be cool to have (and hear), but would be a realistic nightmare.

Old 10-12-2006 | 11:15 AM

The turbo speed is limited by the wastegate for the set boost level. a turbo is an air pump that operates within a specific compressor rpm range. just because the engine revs to 15,000, it doesnt mean the turbo speed would be any different at a set boost level. it builds speed fom exhaust pressure and velocity. A .6 litre engine at 15,000rpm still has far less exhaust flow than a 2.2 litre engine at 6500rpm.

Old 10-13-2006 | 04:37 PM

i cant wait to see how this turns out man, good luck. dont let people get you down if you wanna do it, do it. i know i do. anyone got a kit for an f1? lol.

Old 10-14-2006 | 03:37 PM

Enough of the flames. The kid asked if there is a turbo kit for a CBR 600RR and what the link is. Here you go: www.shandyturbos.com/cbr600rr.html You can see for yourself what $2500 gets you. They supply the installation, powercommander, everything, complete, not just the turbo itself. Problem is that you can't just order the turbo kit, you have to A) ship your bike there, what a pain. B) Drive to Utah and stay for a day or so, and have them install the kit, and then ride home in a rocket. I'd do option B, and I'm all the way here in Canada. Anyways the choice is yours. Here in Canada I could buy a nice used newer CBR1000 for about $8,000 and be done with it. But I'm happy with my 600. Its all about what you want to do, and the drive to actually get her done. Don't listen to some of these haters. You heard the expression "Opinions are like ********, everyone has one". There you go, there's my ******* speaking. Take care guys and gals.

Old 10-23-2006 | 08:55 PM

thats no good because the turbo is sticking out the *** of the bike and that looks really bad... thanks tho!!!
is there any other websites that you would know about??

Old 10-28-2006 | 03:13 PM

I'd actually be interested in the project. It would allow for some cool things but, would take lots of number crunching.

First, off is to have it all hidden to where people would try you thinking you had less than you actually do, could be fun. You can do it with with Nitrous but, from my experience. Those bottles are never big enough for a full day of running around and dusting others on the road all day (not a safe thing and certainly not recommend). A turbo is the only way to do this and have it always be around like having a larger bike.

Second, when you turbo a high compression motor you don't get the lag. You are running on a built motor that is getting help from the turbo not relying on it to go. This also leaves more room for tuning the new power curve you are going to create. You can set the turbo to come in at certain RPMs. You could do this through selection on size of the turbo and what veins you use. I would think most likely a hybid would be needed. You could also get into fuzzy logics and have the computer control when, how fast, and how high it spools. You could set it to help with your torque in the mid-range and let you get out of a corner harder or you could set for only the top end only.

I don't know if just sounds to me like it could be fun. To create and tune it up. Then you will have a sleeper to ride around. Also, you would have small bike corners with big bike *****.

It certainly wouldn't be cost affective and you would have to work out a lot of things but, it would certainly set you appart from the pack.

I'd work on it for free if someone wanted to pay for it. LOL

Quick Reply: TURBO