600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

short or long levers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: short or long levers?

big bump

- hear everyone say that the levers are only for looks and if you wanna argue then also weight -

but I thought that the adjustable levers were like having a short shifter in a car - its just less that you have to squeeze when shifting and braking - that would be a huge difference in racing cause its shift time - plus someone who has a daily commute to work in a high traffic area (which sucks for me)

sooooo yeah, thats my question...doesnt the adjustable lever make it less that you have to squeeze to brake or get it into gear?!?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 AM

The pull is always the same (distance the lever moves). The thing you're changing is where the lever sits before you make the "pull". Some people, like me, pull the clutch lever all the way back to the stop, no matter where it sits. For speed, I crank the lever "original" position down to a "2". The lever pull is "shorter" because it hits the grip sooner. The brake doesn't change really. I guess if you start getting a lot of brake lever travel (from hot brakes/brake fade), then you could adjust the lever "out" more to give you even MORE room to pull it back...

That make any sense?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:06 AM

Oh yeah... second, how's the Tail light going?

AS another thing, if you want to "Speed up" your shifting, then what you're talking about, really, is called a "quick-shifter". Dynojet makes one, so does a ton of other brands. Just google "motorcycle quick shifter" and you'll see what I mean. It basically eliminates the use of the clutch lever during up-shifts by cutting the throttle for a split second and you pull up on the lever, allowing the transmission to shift while you're still on the throttle.

If you have any questions about Pazzo levers, let me know. I wrote up a "how-to" with pictures and all on them. I think you still have my cellphone number, you're welcome to call if you need, or PM me.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: mmgsport

big bump

- hear everyone say that the levers are only for looks and if you wanna argue then also weight -

but I thought that the adjustable levers were like having a short shifter in a car - its just less that you have to squeeze when shifting and braking - that would be a huge difference in racing cause its shift time - plus someone who has a daily commute to work in a high traffic area (which sucks for me)

sooooo yeah, thats my question...doesnt the adjustable lever make it less that you have to squeeze to brake or get it into gear?!?
the way it works.. is the "adjustable" part of the lever is going to determine how far from the handle the lever sits.. "how far you have to reach to grab the lever" which makes them a dream bc you can adjust the position of your lever to fit your hand size.

as far as how it acts.. it acts just like your stock clutch/brake.. except the lever can be moved to become more comfortable..

now getting used to the short levers was wierd, but nothing 80miles ish hasnt cured... i dont even notice it now, and my clutch control is solid.

I reccomend them.. i got em in black/with the chrome adjuster. here is lrn2go's write up.. it was very helpful..
https://cbrforum.com/m_495053/tm.htm

Name:  002-6.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  100.1 KB

Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM

oh yeah.. i think i just repeated everything lrn2go just said.. lol

Old 04-16-2008, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: OKIEZAC

oh yeah.. i think i just repeated everything lrn2go just said.. lol
It's okay... you posted a picture and dropped a nice comment about my write-up. I'll let it slide. haha

Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned

Studies have shown that lever length equates to negative horsepower. The accepted equation is 1" = -pi HP.

Don't argue, it's science.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Thanks Ry, and Okie -

so if i am correct and i hear you guys properly- if the distance the lever sits is changed.....and its less that you have to pull......then this acts like a short shifter on a car right?? - .................-->

like - (and i know this sounds in too much detail) if I have pazzo levers and you have stock and I only have to pull my clutch lever.......say 3 inches (for agrument sake) and you have to pull 6 inches.... then "technically" speaking...i have the jump on you in between gears......right???

If you have any questions about Pazzo levers, let me know. I wrote up a "how-to" with pictures and all on them. I think you still have my cellphone number, you're welcome to call if you need, or PM me.
ry - you have been most helpful to me in the forum and i really appreciate it man - I have the tail on and the plate holder but my bile is STILL all apart - i have a new full set of fairings, slip on and the bracket sitting next to my bike in my shop - the kid i bought it from laid it down @ 40mph - so i had to buy new fairing stay, ram, windscreen, left clip on and controls AND pegs all this and I have been away for business the past 2 weeks!!

so i'll take pics soon - i just got my fiance' and new shoei and vortex mesh jacket - oh yeah - i cant for get the 133.00 on nuts and bolts from honda!!!! that was fun

thanks again guys!!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 PM

You dont need to use the lever to up-shift. Just hit the shifter and let off the throttle for a split second. Doesnt matter what lever you have then if you think you are gonna get an edge on someone because of it.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 PM

huh?!? you dont need to press in the lever (engage clutch) to shift??

umm...eiher i dont understand you or you're wrong -

Quick Reply: short or long levers?