600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

removing front blinker mounts

Old 09-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing front blinker mounts

so in the process of fixin all the scratches from my fall i was going to "shave"(i guess i can use that term) my blinker mounts on the front fairing

but all the plastic fillers ive used are more or less like sheetrock putty and thats definatly not up to my standards... nor is it going to work for me here cuz i have to patch a hole

so am i gonna have to fiber glass it or it there some other product that works well for filling large areas of plastic?

im seriously just thinkin about burning another piece of plastic and letting it drip in the spots i need filled

i was thinkin about fiber glassing the inside of the fairing then using some platic filler on the outside to make it flush with the rest of the body work... any ideas here?

Old 09-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Default RE: removing front blinker mounts

I don't know which kind of plastic filler you used but we used a two part type on my bros bike and the stuff worked good. It came in like a suringe (spell check) you squeeze it out and mix it, easy to use.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Default RE: removing front blinker mounts

you have to use a matrix other wise it's gonna look bad. by matrix i mean a composite mixture of fiberglass and epoxy resin. take your fairing off and lay it down on a bench flat. clean all the paint off around the area it's gonna be worked on. composites don't like to stick to paint. i'm assuming you know what fiberglass is ?? if you don't just hit me back and i'll tell you all the materials to get and what they look like.

1) start by cutting about 10 square pieces of fiberglass sheets about the size of the area you are covering..they can be bigger, it'll get sanded off later.

2) mix up your epoxy resin with the correct amount of catylyst/hardener, this is called your matrix.

3) let your matrix sit for about 10 mins before using so it has time to mix together chemically.

4) lay out your fiberglass squares on teflon paper or any non-porous material. if the matrix can't leak thru, it won't stick. coat your matrix all over each one of the fiberglass sheets. don't soak em but get them nice and sticky. keep them separate.

5) now you can start to lay the fiberglass over the hole you are covering on your bike. lay the first one up, then the 2nd, then the 3rd, then the 4th, however many you choose to use. the thicker, the stronger the bond will be.

6) smooth every thing out as best as you can to prevent any air bubbles. even if u still get some it won't hurt anything with what you are doing.

7) if you have a heat lamp u can put it over it. just let it sit for a long time. a day would be perfect. once its hard to touch and rock solid you can sand it. an orbital sander will work best. just try to form a nice smooth little hump. after that's done you can paint it to match ur existing color. just make sure you clean it really good, then prime it, and then paint it. apply your top coat of paint to tacky primer. don't let the primer dry all the way.

that's it. any more questions just ask. if u have any trouble i could take some photos of me doing a layup for you to follow. i'd like to know how it turns out if you take my advice. good luck!