600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Rear Sets / Dragg'n Knees

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Sets / Dragg'n Knees

Just curious to see how most of you drag your knee's ?

Stock Rear Sets or Aftermarket Sets ??

Any of you track guys still have the stock sets on during track days ??

All info & suggestions will be seriously taken so I can decide if I want to go with
some Vortex's or Sato's or keep my stock ones.

Thanks !!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Sets / Dragg'n Knees

I can drag with either. But aftermarket hold up much better than stock and I personally perfer solid mount pegs to foldup pegs... As for which, between the Vortex and the Sato's I'd take the Vortex every day of the week and twice on raceday becuase they are stronger and have much better replacement part availability. Personally I've seen hundreds, maybe even thousands of crashed pegs and for the most partthe "cool" looking rearsets (Sato, Arata, Gilles, etc)are never as strongand never hold up as well as the "industrial" looking rearsets (Vortex, Woodcraft). PersonallyI use Woodcraft.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Jason748

I can drag with either. But aftermarket hold up much better than stock and I personally perfer solid mount pegs to foldup pegs... As for which, between the Vortex and the Sato's I'd take the Vortex every day of the week and twice on raceday becuase they are stronger and have much better replacement part availability. Personally I've seen hundreds, maybe even thousands of crashed pegs and for the most partthe "cool" looking rearsets (Sato, Arata, Gilles, etc)are never as strongand never hold up as well as the "industrial" looking rearsets (Vortex, Woodcraft). PersonallyI use Woodcraft.
you have to be kidding right
sato is one of the best brands out there.

how many different brands have you tried

here is a review of a guy that has tried multiple different kinds. for those of you who know who lordduckhunter is you will realize that his opinion on race parts are like the word of god
http://rogueracing.org/rearsets.htm
http://www.rc51.org/

Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 PM

yeah. sato rearsets are nice. but, i use vortex. if you're racing or doing track days, when choosing parts, you not only have to take into account how well the part functions but how well the part holds up in a crash and the availability of parts at the track. where i race, most racers run vortex. so, if i break, say a peg, it's pretty easy to find someone with replacement parts. personally, i've never had any problems with the crashability of vortex rearsets and they function very well. i've seen a lot of riders end their day prematurely because a small easy crash broke the peg on their sato rearsets. that's a bummer.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom
you have to be kidding right
sato is one of the best brands out there.

how many different brands have you tried

here is a review of a guy that has tried multiple different kinds. for those of you who know who lordduckhunter is you will realize that his opinion on race parts are like the word of god
http://rogueracing.org/rearsets.htm
http://www.rc51.org/
Nope, not kidding in the least.
I've probably used (and crash tested)at least 10 different brands of the past8 or soyears; including Cyclecat, Sato, gilles, battlefactory, motowheels, graves, and of course woodcraft and Vortex. I've even run custom made sets before. Never run the Arata's but the last set Isaw literally folded in half with a really easy lowside! In fact I've seen 4 sets of crashed Satos in the last two years -3of which were pretty easy low sidesand 1 was a not-to-bad highside -and only 1 was somewhat usable afterwards with just a peg replacement (but no-one around here carries Sato spareparts at the track), the otherthree all required multiple brackets, leversand/or linkagesto be replacedin addition tothe peg (againno one trackside carries spares). The Vortex (adjustable style)holds up slightly better than the Sato's but they have a HUGE advantage because almost every trackside vendor caries spares and even if they don't, someone in the paddock will have spares. Woodcraft on the other hand arealmost bulletproof, the set I have on my 05 has been through3 crashes this year alone and I've replaced one, yes onlyone peg, the previous owner of my 05 (who I know and raced with) had 6-7 crashes; 3 ofwere high sides, and one of the low sides flipped the bike a couple times,during the 05 & 06 seasons and replaced a total of 3 pegs, one mount bracket, and one pedal. Again most trackside vendorscarry the woodcraft spares.

Yes, I know very, verywell who LDH is (but I don't actually "know" him) and I'll just sayhe does a VERY good job of supporting his sponsors if you know what I mean... As for "'word of god" only in the rogue world...

I'd recommend taking a look around the paddock at a club race or for that fact the privateers in the AMA paddock that are paying for their own parts out of their pocketand take note of what almost everyone is running, because there's a reason for it.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 PM

[/quote]

I'd recommend taking a look around the paddock at a club race or for that fact the privateers in the AMA paddock that are paying for their own parts out of their pocketand take note of what almost everyone is running, because there's a reason for it.
[/quote]

pretty much oem or sato from what i have seen

dont get me wrong vortex isnt bad, i have them on my track bike as a matter of fact but only because i found them on ebay for half price.
i have satos on my 1000rr and i can say beyond a shadow of a doubt the satos are better.
they adjust easier, the heim joints are made sturdier. the heel guard on the vortex on my brake side flexes as well as the pegs. i can stand on the pegs and they flex down. not so for the satos i have also seen satos take a 45mph lowside and still be straight as an arrow if not scraped down

Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

pretty much oem or sato from what i have seen
Really, What race series? Seriousiouly I find that very interesting.

Because in the races that I've been to (CCS Midwest & Great plains regions, WERA, CRA, CMRA, AMA-the privateers) I'd estimate that I've seen 60% Vortex, 30% Woodcraft, 9% others, and maybe 1% OEM.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 PM

I have only seen a couple racers that use Sato and not very many use stock for very long

I've never used the Satos so I can't compare but from everything I've heard they aren't any better (functionally) than Vortex or Woodcraft (although Woodcrafts aren't adjustable) and are obviously much harder to get replacement parts for. Vortex has a great racer support program and everybody has parts so they are my first choice. I will say that the adjustment plate has a tendency to bend more than the non-adjustable Woodcraft but I just keep a couple extra plates on hand which is easy.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:23 AM

Inever tried to drag my knee with my stock pegs but I do with my Sato's. I've seen Vortex rearsets onmy buddyskawi 636 and my Sato's appear to beastronger build(imo)and the adjustability is great. As far as availiability, I hear more people going with the Vortexs then Satos so that definately could play a factor if/when I do lay it down on a track day. Why does Honda make their pegs foldable ? .. so they don't break if the bike falls over? I do like the fact that I have solid pegs now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D2g2PJZWps(Link to a video of me with the Sato's in a parking lot after I found a good position for them) Pic. Below.

Name:  satohelp.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  100.1 KB

Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my knee down quite a bit at Laguna Seca on a stock 07 Kawi 636. A couple times on my stock 600RR too.

Oh, just to add to the whole brand thing..........Rizoma is huge in Europe, and make some incredible rear sets...........