600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Performance recommends 600RR

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance recommends 600RR

Whoever is out there may know I recently got a 2004 CBR 600RR which right now is bone stock.

I need recommends on 2-4 good, but not too expensive, performance mods. ($1,500-$3500 money wise)

Like I think I want a Jardine full system or at least slip-on.

Maybe a Power Commander. (If so ...where to buy, what kind? a PC1, II, III?)

The forks and shocks are in new condition and the bike handles great...just needs setting up correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Banned
Default RE: Performance recommends 600RR

$3,500 is alot of cash so maybe wheels? They should help at any speed. Did F3 Racer ever get his fancy pants wheels on his bike?

Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 AM

you would be suprised at how badly that suspsension actually does handle.

even a revalving and respring for your exact weight would be a night and day difference.

a full titanium system would help a lot with weight reduction which would help with cornering. the jardine isnt going to do that.

the pc3 is a must with either a full or a slip on AND a custom map made specifically for your bike to smooth out torque and air fuel dips and spikes caused by any pipe.

wheels will help immensly. if i had that much money to spend a new set of wheels would be the first thing. the marchichinis weigh a whole lot less than stock and every ounce of reduced rotating mass will make the bike behave so much better at speed because of the whole centrifical force thing when you try to corner.

also look into
better brake lines,
a 520 sprocket regearing will make the power you already have come on faster.

there are a lot of options, your first thing is to decide to you want something that is all power and no handling or a mixture

Old 12-20-2007, 07:49 AM

so baxsom, what would you suggest for the suspension issues?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Users

yeah i have to second Bax...

the full-race exhaust...DEFINITELY a PCIII (hell i need one)....then a cheapy upgrade in the grand scheme of things...520 conversion with regearing (-1 front if you are going to be still in a lot of traffic, -1/+2 if you get mostly open road driving)

those things will give you a noticeable performance increase...then SS lines....maybe even a new set of calipers if you want, maybe brembos....

wheels will help you corner, not go faster but from what i have read the help cornering A LOT...

also...if you have the dough....get everything you can for the money minus about $150 and use that last bit to go get a dyno and have a custom map made...if you have the money and doing a lot of upgrades...at the very least have a dyno and custom map to get the most out of it....or you are essentially only getting a part of its full potential....i would DEFINITELY work that into your plans as a MUST after your upgrades....

you will likely get more bang for the buck with that custom tune than anything else...spend that money on something other than a tune and you would be gimping yourself...not saying those that don't have a custom map or bad...but if you have the dough....

other performance upgrades to consider...

quick-shifter...
speedo-healer...(should get if re-gearing anyways)
new fork springs and new rear shock...(then a suspension setup to maximize it)

damn i could go on and on...lol....i read about bikes WAY too much...and to think i only started riding in september of '06.....

Old 12-20-2007, 12:42 PM

ohlins 20mm kit and springs for the forks. elka or penske triple clicker shock. brembo radial pump master cylinder and ss lines.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would hit up the suspension first, but if it's just gonna be your commuter

Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

i would hit up the suspension first, but if it's just gonna be your commuter
+1
for a 90% street 10% track bike
i would just try have the correct spring for your weight installed

50-50
i would send them to someone to get revalved and resprung.
racetech, gp suspension, ohlins (from dan kyle of course)

or if it is going to be a track bike
ohlins all the way around
25mm carts in the front and TTX shock

i recommend upgrades in this order
safety items like case covers, frame sliders, fork and axle sliders, rearsets,
suspension, brakes, power

Old 12-20-2007, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

you would be suprised at how badly that suspsension actually does handle.

even a revalving and respring for your exact weight would be a night and day difference.

a full titanium system would help a lot with weight reduction which would help with cornering. the jardine isnt going to do that.

the pc3 is a must with either a full or a slip on AND a custom map made specifically for your bike to smooth out torque and air fuel dips and spikes caused by any pipe.

wheels will help immensly. if i had that much money to spend a new set of wheels would be the first thing. the marchichinis weigh a whole lot less than stock and every ounce of reduced rotating mass will make the bike behave so much better at speed because of the whole centrifical force thing when you try to corner.

also look into
better brake lines,
a 520 sprocket regearing will make the power you already have come on faster.

there are a lot of options, your first thing is to decide to you want something that is all power and no handling or a mixture
I actually spent some time on this bike today...put about 250 miles on it.

Here is what I found, that needs fixing or fitting I should say for my riding skills as they may be, my weight,
(almost down to 200lbs...when I can fit back into my old pairs of Wrangler, 32 waist x 36 leg jeans...I'll be at my ideal weight, which when back when I was in real shape, was about 180 lbs...5/10 and 1/2...5'11).

Anyway, this ain't no model show.

Motor:

The engine has plenty of power for me right now.

I can't imagine adding another 15-20 hp to this bike, as I believe I'd hit a highside if I was not paying absolute attention and being exactly precise with my throttle hand.

I'm already leaving more than a few rear tire black marks on the exits of the same corners, street, backroad, good tarmac,
that on my old F2, I would just brisjkly open/slide/whack open the throttle grip, tuck my head at the out of a turn and count the seconds until real power hit.

This RR has enough power to make me respect it.

I don;t fear it, and I can feel and control it, so far , but if I were to get careless, i know the thing has enough oomph to spit me right off.

So I am thinking a more fine tuning of the power.

Suspesion wise:

This thing is set up now, to where it falls in too quickly for me, and then understeers....until I whack the throttle and the rear starts sliding, me back in the right direction, when I put it under a decent amount of anger.

Also, the fornt end feels skittish, and too twitchy.

My F2, had a very linear entry, mid-corner, was practically throwable like a rag doll in transitions, (like esees, left-right,left...etc.)

The RR....it's just too nervous everywhwre I go, even when not under power.

I nearly lost the front for a split second today in the middle of a clover leaf...doing about 60-65 mph. ]

A tar patching had something to do with it no doubt, but as many adjutments on this thing you can do and or mod,
I know there is some bump handling prowess in those forks and shock somewhere.

I am thinking the rebound damping is too much. After hard braking into an entry the front is OK as far as dive, but seems
to come up too much, too quickly thus standing the bike up, thus causing the understeer.

Does that mean any sense to any of you suspension gurus?

Based on that, wat would you suggest?

Oh, and the stock exhaust note is kind of...too quiet and too tame.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Now that I think some more...and more deeply...

The suspension needs setting up, which I have not even fiddled with much at all.

Once I get the bike handling like it should, then I'll consider adding more power...after awhile.

One other thing, is this helps anyone with some ideas and suggestions..

This bike sits very very high compared to any other bike I ave ever ridden.
I stop, and I always just put one leg down, but I'm on tip toe, 85% of the time, depending on where I am stopped.

I feel as though I am sitting on top of the bike when riding as opposed to being, in the bike.

One more thing...

This bike is going to be about 90% Track Day and the 10% street is for getting the thing set-up somewhere in the same hemisphere.

Where is Woody? He'll know what to do?

Quick Reply: Performance recommends 600RR