600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

off season engine mod advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off season engine mod advise

ok thinkin about bein a little different n thinkin bout doin some engine work.. im not gunna lie I have absolutely no knowledge of motors n have a basic idea on how they work.. was lookin at some hrc cams a while back n just thought it would b a good way to get familar wit the motor.. where do I start is this a good idea n any other suggestions welcome . thanx guys

Old 11-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: off season engine mod advise

Can you answer a few questions first. What is your *main* goal of the bike? You just looking for a little more hp? Also importantly, what mods do you have already? Not that cams arent a nice idea, but without other mods they wont be as efficient as possible.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No knowledge and wanting to tear into a good running bike sounds like a horrible idea to me. Its true you have to start somewhere but its better not to take apart something that runs just for the fun of it, IMO. I would do it only out of necessity, or on a parts bike so I knew what I was getting into before tearing down an operable one. At least thats what I would be thinking if I was in your shoes. It's not hard being new to engine work to get in over your head and become overwhelmed. Just think about it and if and if your still determined get the FSM and read, read, read.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM

how similar are our bike engines compared to cars? i know its the same concept all across the board but how much diff is it tearing into a 600 than say a 4 cyl eclipse or v8 firebird? cus i was thinking of doing some engine mods myself bore it out new cams etc (plus my slip on and PC3)

Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 PM

To add to what TK954RR Wrote, BEFORE you even think about doing ANY engine work, take a good hard look at what you are using your bike for...
I'm saying this because you mentioned...HRC Cams. If you're going to be using you bike for the street duty, I would STRONGLY recommend against using any true racing parts - and believe me the HRC cams are racing parts. Because like TK stated... Just throwing the cams in and you probably won't be happy - To really get the the most you would need to have the head done to a "supersport spec" at a minium (figure $3000 +), different plugs, get the cam timming set correctly, A "factory style" full system (LeoVince Corsa Race/Arrow "Competetion" / HRC-ARROW/ etc...) - not the the standard issue full systems. And to top it off a PCIII with the ingition module (or the HRC ECU) with Custom Mapping.
If you didn't do all or most of that and just threw the cams into an otherwise stock engine, you'd probably have a very badly running bike that would probably make less HP up to about 8000rpm, about the same up to 12,000rpm, and maybe 5 more at HP at peak...

If you have no working knowlege of assembling a motorcycle engine - I just wouldn't recommened it withou having access to someone who does to at least show you the basics. And while the basic engine is basicially the same as any modern 4 cylinder auto engine - Rember ther are two major differences,
1 - A modern Motorcycle can easily rev beyond 15,000rpm... That requires a difference set of tolerences and assembly care than a car engine that might rev to 9,000 rpm....
2 - A motorcycle has the transmission intergral in the cases.... so not only are you inside an engine, you're insice teh tranny too.

If you really want ot make the bike faster... Bar none the best upgrade will be to the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
^+1