New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

looking for advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for advise

I have not yet bought a cbr but i am looking into a 600. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the pros and cons of the rr and the f4i, or just anything i should know. I havent decided whether to buy new or used either. I am 5'9" and 170lbs, If it helps. I am a new rider so anything u say will help. Thanks

Old 09-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: looking for advise

The RR is more sports orientated, but it all boils down to taste and wot you want in a bike. Only way to tell really is to get your bum onto the seat, take your time, drive the sales guys crazy. I would recommend that you look into getting a 2nd hand example. If you can take someone along that nows a bit about wot to look for. CBR's are great bikes and they attract different types of riders.
So even those with low milage, may have had the life thrashed out of them, or done heaps of mono's (wheelies to you guys). So check things like the steering head bearings, if it's a low kay bike, check the chain, if it's well into the adjustment indicator, then it may have had a hard life. Good tyres, and just overall appearance, see if they have the a good service history, I think you get my drift. sounds daunting?, but it's not really.
If you see something that you really like, then walk away, have a coffee, then go back and go over it again, and look at the little things you may have missed the 1st time. Make sure you take it for a test ride or have someone with you that will give you an honest opinion.

I don't know wot state laws govern the sale of used bikes from dealers over there, but here they have to provide a warrantee. (but that means this sort of thing is "included" in the price) So buying privately may be the way to go if you want to save some bucks.
Your size & weight are not a problem, I about the same height and weigh (to bloody much)..
If you want to buy new, then make sure you go for the bike that suits, either way don't be intimidated by the sales guys, and haggle like your life depended on it. That can be a buzz in itself. And Good luck

Old 09-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

The RR is a little better looking and has newer technology, the fuel injection is smoother for example. The F4i is more comfortable, but by no means a cruiser. My suggestion is if you are going to use your bike for commuting and a daily driver, the F4i has a slight edge due to the higher handlebars and softer seat.

Neither bike is a starter bike, both are bred to be raced. But if your head is in the right place and you have very good self control, I think A 600CC sportbike is fine to learn on but is definitley more bike than you can imagine at first. Even after almost a year of riding, I approach my bike with the respect you would give a loaded gun with a 1lb trigger, and when I get off of it I am amazed at what it can do (I Probably ride it at 70% of its capability). It is like nothing you can imagine.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for a used bike - you won't feel so bad when you drop it, and the money you save can be invested in protective gear. And the truth is that unless you're a real expert, you won't come close to maxing out the capabilities of even an older bike. In other words, the limiting factor on performance, for a long time to come, will be the rider, not the bike. That's probaly true for 90% of the people on this board.

But buying a sport bike isn't all about being rational. You have to go with the one that makes your heart sing.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:46 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 PM

Hello and WELCOME!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 PM

Thank you all for the info, it is very appreciated. I have decided up till this point that i will probably buy an f4 or f4i depending on the year and the deal. But i still am going to visit a local dealer and sit on all the bikes to see which one i like the best. I also am going to buy a used bike because you never know what will happen when starting to ride. Better to drop a used bike than a new bike i guess. Even though niether are prefferable, not that im planning on it too. I do agree that you must have a smart head on your shoulders to ride these bikes because they are dangerous. I will probably be scared of it every time i ride. Thanks again for all the advise.