600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Next set of tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Next set of tires

I can't say for sure, but I'd say since their is no demand for them, stores can't get a low low price like they can for the PP's. If you continuously move a tire in one door and out the other, you'll probably get a better deal as a dealership. I had pilot sports, but that was before pilot powers came out. Definately like the PP's handling alot better.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently running out my set of supercorsas... they've had all the track time they can have and now I'm streeting them. Very very sticky tire. If you aren't seriously racing you don't need the corsas.

In all honesty the pilot powers are a better deal - as are many other street tires which balance slightly more to the street than the track. The pilot sport and pilot road are both good tires that swing more to the street.

I've also heard really good things about the metlzer and avon offerings - again these are street tires and not track tires. The problem with all out track tires is that you get poor wear and they weren't designed for many heat cycles. On the highway huge strands of the corsas was coming off...

I'm putting some pilot's on afterwards (whatever is in my basement... I think pp) and when they are gone I'll be buying some of the better street/wet tires for it for street use... track use will be on takeoff supercorsas as I have a good source for those.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:23 AM

Speaking of tires, my buddy on his R1 has like NO strips and hasn't touched the track, On my PP's on my 6 i have about the width of a clutch/brake lever untouched. I am following good lines coming from the outside hitting the inside "apex" the running out when exiting and another buddy just got a new zx-10 and before he had really hit it hard his tires were equivlant to my other buddys R1. Then when we hit the twisties i was getting more lean and hitting corners faster, question is....is it just the wider tire and more of it is being used on the 1k's or what is it?

I talked to my buddy on the zx-10 and he says "have you grinded your pegs yet?" i reply "no" he responds back with "well try that"

Old 08-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not just lean. If the goal were to get to the edge of your tire, throw your weight to the wrong side and push the bike down... it's grind all day and you'll be rid of the chicken strips. To be clear, that's not the goal.

The goal is to shift your weight to the inside of the turn so that you don't have to lean your bike as far. If you shifted your weight more than them you'd also be leaning your bike less than them and having larger chicken strips.

Further, as you mentioned the bikes are different. Different bikes have different handling characteristics which will lead to different wear patterns... and one you didn't mention was the shape of the tire - a more angular tire will not be as near it's edge at a constant lean angle as a flatter tire. The trade-off being that the flatter tire will have generally a larger contact patch and the more angular tire will be able to be leaned to a steeper angle (geometry).

Finally - on the street your last concern is lean angle and chickenstrips. There are far too many variables - dirt, oil, animals, etc - to be able to push your bike to the maxim lean angle everyday without expecting a lowside in the near future... and that's only considering the fact that at higher speed and/or steeper lean angle that you're using up much more of the available friction with the road than you otherwise would be and if you add in one single variable you might easily be running out of grip.

On the street you may shift your weight to keep the bike more upright. You'd do this particularily in low grip situations with a very mild throttle. This isn't a race but maintaining as much grip as you can in this low traction environment. You may shift your weight for some of the bigger turns you ride to help balance things out... but don't get in the habit of dragging a knee every turn on the street - it really really isn't a good idea and you can still have alot of fun without pushing that envelope.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 PM

woot hit it on the head.

Anyone that rags you about "chicken strips" is a poser. The last thing you want to do is come around a corner with your peg on the deck and realize you need to tighten your line. What you gunna do now? Lay the bike down is what, because you have spent all your lean angle and didn't leave anything in reserve.

If you look at my tires you will see they are scrubbed to the edge, but that is mainly from practice in a large lot. I practice hanging off and seeing how low I can get. This lets me know what I have left over on the street. I rarely ever touch a knee slider on the street, and if I have my body position right my knee is on the deck long before my peg is.

The next time you go riding, see how far Mr.R1's *** is off the bike. If he isn't getting it off the saddle by at least a cheek or so, then you have your answer. He is leaning the bike more than he has to, and not keeping anything in reverve. This is a formula for disaster.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:28 AM

They don't give me **** at all about it, i was just curious on the subject...As for draggin a knee i mess around going slow and i feel like i get close cause i lean off intentionally. As for my buddy he hardly leans off the bike at all. My technique is hard to explain maybe i can get a video of my buddy following me and post it up. I think it's like this (i can't really remember it's just natural) i hang about a cheek off the side and throw the knee out at a decent angle and bring it over if it's under 75mph. If it's over that i am keeping my knee closer.

When i approach a turn that is a big sweeping left signaled 35mph i will come to the right of my lane down shift to keep my rev's between 6-8 hitting the turn between 60-70mph(i like to stay in the power AlWAYS in the twisties) shift my weight to the left hang the knee out look into the turn drop the bike into it and hang on the left of the lane or "apex" and then once i can see the exit i start giving it more throttle and powering out back towards the right/center of the lane.....

Make sense?