600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

K&N: anyone heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N: anyone heard of this?

I recently bought a K&N for my 07 600rr and when arranging a time to setup my 20k service, i asked the guy to put it on for me. he told me that it was a bad idea, not to install it because it will hurt the life of the engine. ive put K&Ns on all my vehicles thus far, and always had good results. has anyone heard of anything bad resulting from a K&N??

Old 06-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: K&N: anyone heard of this?

ORIGINAL: i3enny

I recently bought a K&N for my 07 600rr and when arranging a time to setup my 20k service, i asked the guy to put it on for me. he told me that it was a bad idea, not to install it because it will hurt the life of the engine. ive put K&Ns on all my vehicles thus far, and always had good results. has anyone heard of anything bad resulting from a K&N??
at the dealership right? He wants you to continue buying their shyty paper ones. I always loved K&N and used on many vehicle w/ no issues.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 PM

there arent any issues however the stock air filter is just as good if not better than the K&N from what very many people on a lot of different forums will say. Now Oil is another thing...are we talking air or oil?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Jump1979man

there arent any issues however the stock air filter is just as good if not better than the K&N from what very many people on a lot of different forums will say. Now Oil is another thing...are we talking air or oil?
a paper filter will never compare to a K&N. K&N's oil filters are good too.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Registered Users

yeah i wouldn't say it would hurt the engine, however a lot has been said about how the K&N filters are more restrictive with air flow. in cars K&N are okay because they are a closed system whereas in bikes they are not so tech used in a car doesn't necessarily translate to a bike...just something to keep in mind...

Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered Users

damn board... most thought is that the engineers designed the engine with a very specific fuel to air ratio and the paper filter accomplishes that, using an aftermarket filter should almost always be accompanied by a tune, unless the filter allows roughly the same amount of air into the engine...

considering the last thing you want to do is restrict air, that is the reason most people shy away from KN....

generally if you are going with aftermarket, opinion is that BMC is the best

and +1 to jumpman on the oil filter thing, that can make a difference, i personally read reviews on different filters and have been using Purolator Pure One with great results...

Old 06-13-2008, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: ffingers

yeah i wouldn't say it would hurt the engine, however a lot has been said about how the K&N filters are more restrictive with air flow. in cars K&N are okay because they are a closed system whereas in bikes they are not so tech used in a car doesn't necessarily translate to a bike...just something to keep in mind...

Ok, hows this. The K&N in mine flows more air than a paper one could for it.

I dont see how a K&N would be more restrictive. A tune would deff be needed.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Registered Users

i am only going by research done by some other people, i can't say i have personal experience..yet

but side by side, the K&n has less surface area to flow air...i'll get the link

here's a side-by-side example with comments http://www.cbr929rr.com/airfilter.htm (i know it's a 929) same thing with the f4i

Old 06-13-2008, 05:05 PM

stay OEM

Old 06-13-2008, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: gotobatter

stay OEM
Hell no lol

Quick Reply: K&N: anyone heard of this?