600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

internal engine mods

Old 07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default internal engine mods

well this winter i have to do a teardown and fix the shiftfork or the tranny, but what im wondering is what are my options if i wanna do internal upgrades? like cams or new pistons and rings or bore. and is it posible to just have my heads milled out?

im wanting to do this to be more custom and not the same mod that everyone else does.(cause i already did all of those)

please provide links to the products or shops. im having a hell of a time finding stuff.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Default RE: internal engine mods

nothing?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:58 PM

searrch around for HRC power up kits

Old 07-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

Sell your 600 and get a 1000RR. It doesn't make sense trying to make a little motor more powerful when the factory offers an alternative. No matter what you do, it still won't be the same.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

its really not worth it to do interal mods in my opinion. usually the guys who are trying to make more power from a 600 arent using the full potential of the bike anyways. not saying your one of those people but generally thats how it is.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:23 PM

very true there

if you want a lot of power go with the 1000,
i bought the new 07 600rr for the sole purpose of it being a track bike
it runs rings around the 1000rr on a tight track but as far as power goes the 600 just wont compete

however if you are going to take the engine apart anyway you can always port and polish the heads
its cheap and lets the engine live up to the potential that it was already designed for

Old 08-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Do you plan to race or is this just for street? If just for street, save your money. It's not worth it and you'll never be able to sell the bike at a price close to what you'll put in it.

If for track, there's lots you can do but you can't run superstock, you'll have to run superbike. Let me warn you though, if you're running superbike you'd better be fast.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:17 PM

Mill the head or get a thinner head gasket. Relatively cheap mod that will definately make a difference. Our bikes are already pretty high on the compression, but a little more shouldn't hurt. You might want a custom map for the new compression ratio too. Hopefully the stock injectors and ignition can handle it. Maybe you'll want to do the research on that before doing anything. You might also need to retard the timing a little. And you'll also want to start using highest octane pump fuel. Hmm, this sounds like it might start to get a little expensive. You also might want to check the valve clearances. It would suck to have valves and pistons collide. Thats never good.

I'm sure there are people on this site that have done this type of thing before. These motors are still pretty new to me, maybe they can say if this is a good idea or not. Personally I've never done it too a bike, but lots on cars.

Just a suggestion

Old 08-18-2007, 10:43 AM

Ah, intelligent life. Coming form the dirt world, I always thought most crotch rocket peeps were "math riders," caught up in specs and charts without realizing a pro could swap his race bike for your street bike and still lap you. For new riders, I would suggest setting your suspension up properly before you worry about more power. Like the posters above say, very few people are getting all their bike has to offer. And, despite what the magazine review tells you, dyno charts and graphs don't mean diddly when you have the inside line and the suspension to really jam a turn. A brand new dyno chart champ can still be whipped if you just brake later.

'course many riders are merely stoplight drag racers. I call them "flat spots" because their tires are never worn on the edge, just bald down the middle. More power might help this type of rider...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: internal engine mods