600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

hid??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like this got into a pissing match . it was a simple does it need to be relayed. yes the do blind people . and bigger is not always better thats with alot of things. i dont need some thing thats going to blind people . just some thign so i can see better we ride alot at night . and there is alot of deer and other critters up where i live. i am just not trying to mess up the wiring or any thing else on the bike ..

Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AmazinAznF4I
]

Lets just hope you are not blinding anyone w/ 30,000K Ur headlights reflector isn't designed for an H.I.D. bulb. It's a common misconception. Because luxury cars that have reflector based H.I.D. have been designed around that. ex; 2003 acura TL . 2003 Maxima. Volvo s70, 2002 mercedes benz.

U know the higher the Kelvin doesnt mean the bulb is by any means brighter. It's a marketing gimmick with numbers to fool u that it is brighter. The higher the Kelvin the dimmer the output on the road but it will be able to reflect signs *aka glare* back to the driver. That is the common annoyance in those HID kits. . 5500k-6000k is typically compared to the Kelvin scale to the light output of the sun during noontime at its strongest and that is useable light when driving at night.
+1
around 6000k puts out the most useable light and that goes down the higher Kelvin you go.

As for the relay if your running a F4i with H7 bulbs they are just Lo beams so you do not need a relay for them.

www.ddmtuning.com has the best quality for the price I have found.

Ebay is a hit or miss unless youknow the brand and ddm comes with a lifetime warranty and there like $50 w/shipping depending where you live.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 PM

8k ate not blinding but will light up the area very well its a white light
no blue 6k is good also just hunt around you can find them pretty cheap google hid kits and you will find them cheap and the thread wasnt a pissing match lol

Last edited by ohio nitro; 01-27-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 PM

okay it is impossible to replicate for example an H7 bulb focal point to meet the requirements of the stock Oem H7 reflector design for that the D2s/D2R H.I.D. bulb is brighter than any filament bulb design/reflector. With this in mind. NHTSA has committed to making regulations on making H.I.D. kits illegal throughout the US because you are making a non designed bulb fit into a stock housing.. That's like saying a Fat girl trying to wear tight *** jeans.. IT DOES NOT WORK! Now here is an excerpt with an H.I.D. Vendor who was inquiring on selling his "HID kits" is legal and NHTSA has replied to his letter with a response :

This is in reply to your letter of July 30, 2002, to John Womack of this office with respect to a High Intensity Discharge (HID) light source conversion kit that you wish to sell for replaceable bulb headlamps in the United States. On August 15, Taylor Vinson of this office e-mailed you to request a sample of the kit so that we might be better able to advise you. The kit arrived on September 12.
Your specific request was "for guidance in how to begin the process of obtaining D.O.T. approval" for your kit. We have no authority either to approve or disapprove motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment. We do advise correspondents of the relationship of their products to applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) and other regulations that we administer. If a manufacturer determines that its product is covered by one or more of the FMVSS, and that its product complies with all applicable FMVSS, it must certify compliance of the product when the product is offered for sale. The symbol "DOT" on replacement lighting equipment is often mistaken for "DOT approval" of the equipment but, in fact, it is the manufacturer’s own certification of compliance.
Because your HID conversion kit is intended to replace certain original headlighting equipment, the kit is subject to paragraph S5.8, Replacement Equipment, of FMVSS No. 108 Lamps, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment, 49 CFR 571.108. Paragraph S5.8 requires that any motor vehicle replacement replaceable light source that is offered for sale in the United States comply with the requirements of FMVSS No. 108. The Federal specifications for replaceable light sources used in original equipment motor vehicle headlighting systems are located in 49 CFR Part 564, Replaceable Light Source Information. The purpose for storing the specifications in Part 564 is two fold: (1) to ensure the availability to replacement light source manufacturers of the specifications of original equipment light sources such that replacement light sources are interchangeable with original equipment light sources and provide equivalent performance, and (2) that redesigned or newly developed light sources are designated as distinct, different, and noninterchangeable with previously existing light sources.

Now 1 states that you cannot alter any stock housing reflector design with an H.I.D. bulb into an H7 H4 H1 etc,. If you took the components out of a luxury car *projectors/ballasts/bulbs this will meet the requirements of (2) as long as you take out the reflector and replace it with the OEM actual components. To clarify the OEM term, I am stating to use the HID components, not the make and model of the car since those components have met the requirements to pass the NHSTA law and state laws. The beam pattern is distributed without glare above the cutoff line evenly so it won't distract or annoy oncoming drivers and cars you are riding behind. Now back to the letter:

Based on a review of the H1 light source specification filed in the Part 564 docket (#3397), it is apparent that the Thunder Beam HID Conversion kit is a significant redesign of the H1 light source. At the most basic level, an H1 light source incorporates an incandescent filament in which light is produced by a metallic wire coil heated to incandescence by an electrical current, whereas the HID conversion kit’s light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce the light and requires a ballast for operation. Thus, in order to comply with paragraph S7.7 of FMVSS No. 108, the Thunder Beam light source must comply with, inter alia, the dimensional specifications for the metallic wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location, and the ballast would need to be a design currently on file for use with an H1 light source. Complying with the dimensional aspects of the H1 light source appears to be an impossibility considering that the wire coil filament and the electrical connector are not a part of your design. Furthermore, there are no ballast designs on file for use with an H1 light source. Thus, your company’s HID conversion kit is not a design that conforms to the Standard and could not be certified as complying with FMVSS No. 108, nor imported into or sold in the United States.

This interpretation would apply to any HID replaceable light source whose base was modified or manufactured to be interchangeable with any regulated headlamp replaceable light source that incorporates an incandescent filament design.

Now with the NHSTA regulations on regarding H.I.D. conversion kits in reference to: 49 CFR Part 571[Docket No. 01-8885] Section 2.3 paragraph 7

Another disturbing trend in this look-a-like phenomenon is the substitution of OEM filament headlamp bulbs with aftermarket HID conversion bulbs. The desire is to achieve the look and achieve the more robust performance of HIDs. While not designed to be interchangeable, some aftermarket companies are substantially altering the HID bulb bases or providing adapters so that the HID bulbs can be inserted in headlamps designed for filament bulbs. The consequence of making these substitutions is to adversely affect safety. Filament headlamps are optically designed for the volume of light and filament placement and other critical dimensions and performance that OEM filament bulbs have. The HID conversions result in two to three times the volume of light and potentially imprecise arc placement. Such conversions often result in beam patterns that behave nothing like the original filament beam pattern, cannot be reliably aimed, and have many times the permitted glare intensity. In informal conversations with persons who have tested such conversions, the light intensity on one at a point aimed toward oncoming drivers was 22 times the allowable intensity limit. Another lamp was more than 7 times too intense. With poor HID bulb and arc placement, the glare intensity could be significantly worse. Thus, the use of these conversions could be yet another source of the glare problems about which many drivers have complained.

When I hear and see people trying to say they can "SEE" roadsigns for their safety, they are not realizing that is a disbenefit for others with oncoming glare and temporary night blindness. I'd like for you to drive behind a person with an aftermarket H.I.D. w/o adjusting your mirrors or have a line of oncoming drivers with the kit and come back to tell the forum how comfortable your eyes are from viewing them.

If you do H.I.D. do it right.. get the components. You are already 1 up on complying with the standards of NHSTA safety and won't be ticketed by a cop. There are cops that are on a breakdown especially in california who are being trained to look for H.I.Ds. I am currently setting up a meeting with local PD's to train them so they are well informed.

Btw.. I almost hit a pedestrian the other day due to a car with aftermarket H.I.D's since I was blinded like a ****. it really sucks if i had hit the person.

I really don't write often on forums but I'd like to inform you guys about this. Mod's if you can save this as a sticky or w/e I'll just make a thread for it and then u can sticky it. We are all about safety for ourselves on our bikes right? Let's not be too ego centric about our safety and be mindful of drivers as well.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 PM

it aint no pissing match nor was it intended to. I was just informing the facts compared to "personal opinions" about H.I.D. Im just trying to help everyone out on the site regarding H.I.Ds Just like you guys help others out with performance/technical issues on other threads.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

All it needs is a 12 v source to power the solenoids.. *That's if you are going the retrofit route*. If u want to do H.I.Ds, Do it right and don't buy the kits otherwise if you went with the HID KIT route, you will be blinding the hell out of everyone and could cause an accident due to night blindness from the glare. Get all the parts you need Ex: projectors, ballast, bulbs and do your HW This way you have an HID system that is designed not to scatter unwanted light into oncoming drivers and cars in front of you.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 PM
R.I.P. Jason

So my question is... How do I tell what I have installed on my bike? My HIDs were installed when I bought it and I don't know anything about them except what I have been reading. Any ideas on what to look for or how to determine what I have?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:04 AM

Its all plug and play. no wiring modifications needed, heres mine set up as a high beam: (don't mind the mess in the background..)

IMG_0511.jpg?t=1335338742