600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

HELP What tires do I Buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP What tires do I Buy

I just bought a 2006 cbr 600rr and it needs new tires. I have not tested let alone rode any certain tire so i have no clue what tire does what. Overall i will not be riding any track, simply just around the neighborhood highway but mostly residential to school and so forth. I am not worried about long tire life. I just want something with good grip that will work good on the street. Like i said i am not a racer and will not be taking it to the track. However i will speed and let loose every so often. What is the best tire for the streets guys. Price does not matter. Let me know some options.
Thanks

Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's are sick... but I'm in the same boat as you. I've personally never bought tires for a bike and mine is just about due.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For your described needs... the Michelin Pilot Road tires would be a good choice. They are also good for all-weather needs...ie. rain. ;-)

Happy tire shopping.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 AM

thanks for the response. Any other suggestions. I dont know if i am likeing that style of tire. Again i appreciate the help and do you have any other suggestions.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:07 AM

The pilot is a great tire, but the wear is quick being a soft tire and the price is to much for my pocket. I have for the longest time been using the shinko advance. I get 5000 miles out of then easilly and the traction is excellent. This are not regular 5000 miles, as I love to clutch 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies on my bikes. I'm not into burn outs but I will tell you I'm very pleased for a tire I can get on ebay for 100.00. Just remember its the advance 005. Not the stealth or the raven. Johnnyh

Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for clarification, you can't just say "pilot" (or pilot road) as there are different pilots. Road/Road2/Power/Power 2CT.
I'm running the pilot road 2. They are a 2CT (dual compound) tire and they are better than the regular roads for grip. Many people really like them as they get good mileage and still have good grip for the street.
I personally think they'd be perfect for what you describe, but to each their own.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Just for clarification, you can't just say "pilot" (or pilot road) as there are different pilots. Road/Road2/Power/Power 2CT.
I'm running the pilot road 2. They are a 2CT (dual compound) tire and they are better than the regular roads for grip. Many people really like them as they get good mileage and still have good grip for the street.
I personally think they'd be perfect for what you describe, but to each their own.

In recommending the Pilot Roads, I'm mentioning a *line* of tires for the OP to make his own final choice of model for his particular needs.

---

danl23880: With tires, you generally get what you pay for. Having sold tires for a living at one time, I was always asked what the best "budget" tire was...or simply, what was the "best" tire. These questions depend on your particular needs & variables...such as, what are they to be used on, what type of riding, what kind of wear do you want/expect, performance, all-weather capability, etc. For most folks, it comes down to type of riding & budget. To this, I say get the best you can afford. Since you say "price does not matter", I'd recommend narrowing your search to top tier brands like Michelin, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzeler, etc. Do some research into what each offers for your needs & make an informed choice. Also, if you can go to your closest CycleGear or bike shop, you can get a look at various choices in person. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:42 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

... if your looking for a less expensive long lasting tires... check out the 009 Ravens from shinko.... alot of poeple dont like them because they arent a curvy tire but they work great for practical street use... but dont take em to the track... lol

Old 05-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Sorry, your right I meant the power pilot. Thats what most people use. Johnnyh

Old 05-11-2010, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the help. $ is not an issue and am willing to pay top dollar. I want something with good grip on the turns. I will be riding street only. As far as rain i am not worried about. I will not ride in the rain and if i am stuck in the rain i ride short distances so no biggy. As far as tire life i am not worried. I would prefer something with better grip then longer tire life. If i only get 2000 miles on a set that is fine.

Quick Reply: HELP What tires do I Buy