600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

HELP WITH SPROCKETS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH SPROCKETS!!!

i am a newbie and have no idea about bikes and how they work!!i'm wanting to do a sprocket switch and don't know what to do. i know that i have to go smaller to get more acceleration. or less teeth.i'm just starting to get the front tire off the ground but need a little more power to help me out.its an inexpensive way to get more power but i don't know what is good. i was looking and saw a 40 tooth for the rear and a 15 tooth for the front. i have a 2007 honda cbr 600rr and need some more oomph for a guy that weighs 215!!its my first bike.What is the best sprocket change for me to do?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP WITH SPROCKETS!!!

I don't know what your stock gearing is,but normally everyone goes to a -1 on front +2 on rear

Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Yea, above and let me explain. A large rear sprocket will give you less top speed but more initial punch, or torque to get movin.. perfect for trying to wheelie. A smaller front sprocket will do the same, but be aware that one tooth smaller in the front sprocket equates to about 4 teeth on the rear sprocket. Good Luck..

Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 PM

One down on the front is equal to 2.77 up on the rear. So....up 3 is a little more than going -1 up front.

And.....just a word of caution, if you truly are a noob......please dont wadd up the new bike. A wheelie should be the LAST thing on your mind. Nor should more acceleration. I weigh 200lbs.........I'm pretty sure that bike will accelerate PLENTY quick as is. Also, if you cant wheelie it as is.......you have no business being on one wheel!!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:13 PM

I know the stock rear tooth count on the CBR600RR7 is 42. The front has slipped my mind but it's either a 15 or 16th count sprocket. If you're trying to stunt the bike -1 +2 will work great. But if this is your first bike I would take more time to get to know it but you dump it.

Remember Cover that REar Brake!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM

well i been riding aboutfour months now.it'll get my front tire up, it just would be a little easier with some more juice.plus i ride with some guys that have some 1000s and i have a hard time keepin up off the line.i'm not goin all crazy with the wheelies though.i'm just poppin it up at about 35mph. nothin too crazy.ive been wheelin about a month now. everybody told me that after a month or two that a 600 seems kinda slow. and it is now.just had the guys tell me to get some gears swapped out but i just didn't know what kind. im just power wheelin it right now is all so i dont go very high.and my foot is on the break at ALL times when i'm wheelin!ive seen a few guys that didn't and what happened to them.i'll take it easy though

Old 11-08-2007, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

I know the stock rear tooth count on the CBR600RR7 is 43. The front has slipped my mind but it's either a 15 or 16th count sprocket. If you're trying to stunt the bike -1 +2 will work great. But if this is your first bike I would take more time to get to know it but you dump it.

Remember Cover that REar Brake!
wrong
stock gearing on a US spec 07 600RR is 16/42

Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Wow.. after a month the 600 is "kinda slow". You must ride with Rossi and Hayden.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 PM

Changing your stock gearing isn't going to add the xtra umph that your probably thinking. I have -1/+4 and I can honestly say it doesnt feel like I accellerate any quicker. Maby its just my bike though.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 PM

I'm willing to bet that the people who told you your bike will feel slow have a large area of unused rubber on the edges of their tires, and couldn't keep up with a good rider on an old f2 at the track.

Quick Reply: HELP WITH SPROCKETS!!!