600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Hand Grips.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Grips.

I just got some new hand grips, when when i went to take the original ones off it was a major pain in the ***. Needless to say, I didn't want to hassle with it anymore. I figured at the time if it was as big of a pain to get them off, it would be even worse putting the new ones on, so I left the old ones on. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to mkae this task easier?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Hand Grips.

funny you should post this, i am looking at getting new ones myself....that being said, i have read a bunch about it....the best way is take an air compressor and sticking the nozzle under the grip....blowing in some air which frees the grip up and it supposedly slides off like butter.....to put the new ones on, you can attempt to do the same thing but in reverse but i have also read to use isophyrl alcohol and they will slide on...then you need to wait for the alcohol to evaporate and they are on like glue....

dunno...anyone else have opinions...i'll see if i can find a few of the websites i have read...if you do a search on google for "installing motorcycle hand grips" you should find some tutorials....

if you do it, post up some pics...what type of grips did you get?

Old 10-16-2007, 05:38 PM

I'll have to look into that. I just have the portable air compressor/battery jump starter kit, which might work ok. When I get a chance to try it, I'll let you know how it goes.

As for the grips, they are harris.
Name:  grpnewcbrylw.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  58.6 KB

Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 PM

I've seen quite a few people mention the air compression idea. I've also seen a few places mention using hairspray to get the new ones on.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:37 AM

I really don't know n easy way to remove grips/glue. These are the only grips that I'll use http://denniskirk.com/jsp/common/img...67&imgId=0. They help with throttle response/control, NO GLUE NEEDED, which means no sticking, no mess' and so on! (the left grip uses n allen screw to hold it in place, the right uses the throttle cable, etc., to hold it in place...at least on my '05 600RR). They're very comfortable too. They're firm yet somewhat soft. IMO, they're some of the best grips ever made.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:59 AM

To take my old ones off(after removing the bar ends)i just rolled them back towards the end of the clip on as far as can go. then cut em! its not like im putting them back on! Then to put the new ones on Just a squirt of WD40 in each. And let dry. Used no glue and they havent budged yet. I didnt hear about the air compressor method untill after.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just nut up n do it lol you wont regret it.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:39 PM

I haven't done it yet, but like 06f4imike said, cut the grips off. Then you can use any of the posted suggestions for putting on the new ones. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 PM

I just replaced mine last week and it was almost too easy... I was going to try and use WD-40 with the straw nosle and shot some up uderneath the grip to lossen it but couldnt find any and didnt wanna search all around the house for it so what i did was just as easy. I just rolled the grip off the handle bar. It rolled up like a doughnut and was simple. When i added the new grips i squirted hair spray on the bar itself and the inside of the grips. Once they were dripping wet with hairspray i just forced them on while turning just a bit. turn them so the CBR emblem is where you want it and let it stand for an hour or so... Mine havent moved an inch since doing this... I installed the very same grips as you 03yellow6000RRonly differenceare mine are the grey and black ones. I like them muchbetter then the old ones

Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Hey Yellow, where did you get the grips & if I may ask, how much they cost ya? Thinking of getting yellow grips also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hand Grips.