600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

frame sliders or cage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i hear is that most people dont like the "stunt" cages because they are heavy and bulky. if youre just casually riding on the street a cage is not neccesary though. frame sliders should protect your block just fine in a lowside. in a high side youre gonna have a few more problems than just your engine to deal with so youre s.o.l.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a cage is mainly designed for stunting and the low speed drops the do quite often. Frame sliders are designed to protect the frame, not the engine, there are other products designed to do that.

The thing with cages is the same with any cheap or blingy slider not made of derlin, they have a much greater risk of catching the pavement and flipping the bike causing even more damage.

I like Vertex sliders, yes the puck securing bolt gets stuck in the puck after a crash but you get a new bolt when u buy a replacement puck(s). trust me I had to replace one of mine lol. Shoguns and Woodcraft are good ones too.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 AM

yeah if youre just doing regular riding and not stunting dont bother with a cage. Theyre more so meant for drops not lowsides and such like playful said. Just stick with the sliders and save yourself some money and your bike wont look silly with a big cage on it also.

(ps its delrin not derlin playful. haha sorry its just been a pet peeve of mine for years, everyone says derlin and im not sure why, it drives me crazy.)

Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Egypt Junior Member

i'd definalty go for cages! so much safer, it'll boost your confidence knowing that even if you drop it you're highly protected so you won't end up fallin!, you'll look definatly cool!, and you'll most probebly be called a bad-*** stunter

it just might not be so cool when cornering because of it's weight and space! other than that, the cheapest way bro is doing it yourself

happy riding from Egypt!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM

I would go with cut frame sliders really doesn’t matter what brand as long as they are derlin then they will do just fine. IMO I would put training wheels on there.....might suck for cornering though

Old 04-08-2011, 02:30 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far haven't bought any frame sliders. Since i've got full coverage on the thing i figure to hell with it. I've gotten some new signals and a two brothers pipe since posting originally. Haven't posted any pics of the cbr I figure the stuff that is on there isn't anything special. But I'll definitly make sure the frame sliders are made of the delrin or derlin when i do get them.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:44 PM

I just finished cutting my fairings and I put on vortex sliders. They turned out great, the way I did it was first remove entire fairing then just the lower half and I just guessed where to put the hole. I left the lower part on and once the hole was large enough I used my dremel tool to slowly shave away a perfect fit. Ill get a picture on here if I can figure it out.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Default sliders

Here it is while I was waiting for my dremel battery to recharge. The right side was already completed.

Attached Thumbnails frame sliders or cage?-2011-04-14_10-15-39_156.jpg   frame sliders or cage?-1302795499303-1.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 AM

Possibly a mini cage with sliders built in? Its not a full cage so it doesnt affect cornering as much, but offers more protection of vital components than sliders in the event of a crash/drop.

FI has a nice mini cage, not too pricey. Freestyle Ingenuity / F I Cages.com - Mini Cage

I attached a pic of what is looks like on a CBR. FI powdercoats them and has delrin tips on the end of their sliders as well. I'm in the process of ordering mine as soon as they can figure out how to ship it to Italy.

Name:  cbrFIcage.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  46.6 KB
Name:  cbrFIcage2.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  49.3 KB

Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Some people put clay on the inside of the fairing and make an impression with the head of the slider mounting bolt threaded into where it will be attached on the bike.
This is how we installed my roommates sliders on his 600rr (used silly putty ), it was easy and worked perfectly. I'll be doing the same for my f4i when my sliders get here.

I would steer away from a stunt cage for everyday riding, they sit so far out along the lower fairings that you're asking to scrape (or possibly catch) it if you lean it over far enough in a turn. That FI mini cage might be a good alternative, but you still have to cut your fairings and I don't think it will look as clean as regular sliders.

Quick Reply: frame sliders or cage?