600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Flush Mounts CA tail light question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush Mounts CA tail light question

I installed my proton flush mounts and Clear alternative tail lights over the weekend, and both being led lights my signals are not blinking at all (or so fast it looks solid). anyway I know i need to install resisters, but my question is do i need to install 4 of them (2 front and back) or can i get away with just putting them on the back ? I dont mind the faster blink rate ... I just want them to blink ! also does anyone have a suggestions for alternate resisters or should I just use the big ceramic ones supplied?

Old 02-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Flush Mounts CA tail light question

great question! I need to do this also!!

Old 02-13-2006, 04:53 PM

I have CA on the front and stock on the back. I have no resistors installed (bought them just never installed them, don't know where I can put them since they can't be mounted to plastic) and mine just blink fast (like a light is out in your car) so if I am guessing if you install one pair you will get fast blinking and if you install two pairs you get factory blinking.

My 2 Cents.
Thom

Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 PM

was the same until ca on back..now just solid...so resistor to each? all four? thanks

Old 02-13-2006, 05:43 PM

I am going to try to mount 2 in the rear tonight . and see what happens. I will post results tomorow. I really dont feel like pulling the front end off again. and if i can get back to the fast blink with just 2. I like it better than the factory blink anyway. I just wish there was something better than the big ceramic resistors

Old 02-13-2006, 06:32 PM

Because they don't blink at all it is because there is no resistance in the system. I had the same problem so I installed four resistors all the way around, but the flash rate was still fast. Anyway, I ended up keeping two, just enough resistence to make the system work.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: bmacejr

I am going to try to mount 2 in the rear tonight . and see what happens. I will post results tomorow. I really dont feel like pulling the front end off again. and if i can get back to the fast blink with just 2. I like it better than the factory blink anyway. I just wish there was something better than the big ceramic resistors
no crap on the front....defininately the back first..please post if works

Old 02-14-2006, 01:05 AM

ORIGINAL: bmacejr

I installed my proton flush mounts and Clear alternative tail lights over the weekend, and both being led lights my signals are not blinking at all (or so fast it looks solid). anyway I know i need to install resisters, but my question is do i need to install 4 of them (2 front and back) or can i get away with just putting them on the back ? I dont mind the faster blink rate ... I just want them to blink ! also does anyone have a suggestions for alternate resisters or should I just use the big ceramic ones supplied?
Are you sure you have them hooked up correctly? I have Greggs up front and the CA in back with no resistors. The signals blink faster than stock, but not so fast that they look solid. Plus the Protons are supposed to have some extra resistance already built-in.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Retired Administrator

I have the Hot Bodies Racing LED on the front and Clear Alternative on the back, and yes, you will need resistors. The rear stock taillight I'll assume has resistors built in so if you only install the HB LEDs on the front, you don't need them. You only need resistors on one end (front or back). Since the CA taillight works fine with the stock front lights, I installed the resistors on the front. They are hidden under the inner covers over the vent ducts. I used a heat sleeve to protect as much as possible. After I did the install, I let the signals flash for 5 minutes and it was hot, but it's not going to do any damage on mine.

Do you guys know how to wire resistors? I'm only asking because I helped someone else on here with it. They are not an inline type of deal. Meaning you don't connect them to the power wire or the ground wire side... you jump across. Think of them like a light bulb. They are used to consume some of the power so they have to be connected as if they were an actual component.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:07 PM

An alternative to installing all of these resistors is to purchase an alternative flasher relay. You can buy relays that aren't resistance sensitive and always blink at the same rate. The only problem is that I've heard that they are buried in the front end somewhere, but are plug and play replaceable. But I guess if you have to take the front fairing off to change the front signals you might as well change the relay while you're in there.

Quick Reply: Flush Mounts CA tail light question