600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

DIY powdercoat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY powdercoat?

Last night I was talkin to this guy about my bike... yada yada and told him that its gonna be all black and that I needed to find someone to powder coat some small things for me and he told me about some roll on powdercoat

he said u just paint it on then stick it in the oven and he said it was very cheap... like $25 a can?

anyone ever heard of this stuff or know where to get it

I had one too many beers in me last night and didnt finish the conversation when i saw this chick walk in the door [8D]

Old 09-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Default RE: DIY powdercoat?

The only DIY powdercoat I am aware of is the kit with the gun that you hook up to shop air, just like a regular paint gun but with an electric charge and powder.

What you are talking about just sounds like cramic based paint. That won't be anywhere near as wear resistant as powdercoating.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:36 PM

I noticed that "Harbor Freight Tools" has a powder coat kit that is pretty cheap... if you dont mind curing the pieces in your oven.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:36 PM

If I was doing a bunch of stuff that is how I would go.

I believe they sell the "heaters" to cure it if you do large parts. Otherwise just shop the classifieds for a old used electric oven. You don't want to cure powdercoat in a gas oven.

When I eventually get my garage cleared out and back to a "shop" we will see what I end up with.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:59 AM

i was going to polish the pass. peg ***. on my f3 but got about 1/3 way through the process of just the left peg ***. and after hours of sanding with different grit sandpaper i could not feel my fingers so i figured that i would powder coat them instead. i have been looking at the powder coating kit from harborfeight, however i dont have an air compressor at home and didnt really want to buy one for this. I know i could use it for other things but i am a mechanic so i do must of my work there. So i did alot of searching and research today and read tons of review and this is the best thing i have come across that doesnt require shop air. the reviews on it are great and the outcome looks the same as using the style that harborfreight sell. the first link is to sears which sells it and the second is the best review/ visual and comparison that i could find. I am going to pick one up tomorrow, and i found an great deal on an electric oven on craigslist. $30 for the oven and its practically right down the street. Hope this helps. i will keep everyone updated on the process.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...TOOL&ihtoken=1

http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/...g/Testing.html

Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 AM

From what I've read, you don't want to cure powder coat in any oven you ever plan on using for food again.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:19 PM

Awww just get a compressor for home. I use mine for all kinds of junk. I think it would be a PITA to have to drive to the shop anytime I wanted to do something.

Next year I will probably plumb my home shop with hardlines. I want to move my compressor outside to lessen the noise.