600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

Another 520 Chain and sproket Kit install

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 01:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another 520 Chain and sproket Kit install

This is a write up on the DID/Renthal Race 520 Conversion Kit I installed on my 2005 CBR600RR. I bought the kit from Cal-Sportbike.com. They were very helpful and answered all my questions like how my bike will rev in 6th gear. They are also a site sponsor and gave me a couple of discounts when I told them I was a member.

I'm not going to go into great detail about the install because I followed the great write up by Chainstretcher. His write up is for a 1000RR but it was real close for the 600RR too. The only real difference was it seemed easier for me to remove the upper link of my shifter. I just removed the bolt and swung the rod down out of my way.

When I ordered the 520 kit I decided on the latest DID 520ERV3 chain. It also came with a Renthal 15 tooth (-1 from stock) front sprocket and a Renthal 45 tooth (+2 from stock) rear sprocket. Since I followed Chainstretchers directions the install was very strait forward.

Since I knew I was going to have the rear wheel off the bike I decided to install a Galfer rear wave rotor. I try to add upgrades that won’t only look good but also add performance. I say this because I must admit what first attracted me to the wave rotor was its looks. You have to admit it does look trick.

One more thing, I knew by reading other posts that my speedometer would be off more then it was with stock sprockets when going -1/+2 so I also installed a Speedohealer. I first installed the Speedohealer before I did the 520 conversion so I could learn how to program it. The installation was very simple and as long as you down load and follow the instructions from Speedohealers web site programming is simple too. I should qualify that I used a GPS to get an accurate speed reading so I could use the “Precise” method of programming.

Now on to the fun stuff, the performance difference is definitely felt. My bike is a lot more “snappy” in lower RPM’s and it will wheelie fully under its own power. I say fully because the method of getting the engine up to about 7-8000 RPM then closing the throttle then opening it back up is no longer necessary to find the power band. You still can use that technique but you don’t have to rev the engine nearly as high before you let off the gas and open her up to get the front wheel off the ground.

If there is a negative side to this upgrade it can only be that the bike revs a little higher at what ever speed. In sixth gear going a true 80 MPH my bike revs at around 8000 RPM. I don’t mind the feel or noise at this speed and since 80 is the fastest I maintain for a long period of time. Also anyone who is thinking about this mod need to realize you will loose top end speed. This was not even a consideration for me since in the eight months I’ve owned the bike I have not yet found my self bouncing off the rev limiter in sixth gear wondering how fast I can make my bike go.

As some of you know this bike is going to be my wife’s after I upgrade to a 1000RR hopefully in 06. I will probably go back to stock for her until she is comfortable on it with the stock gearing. What is cool is that you can bounce back and forward between the two set ups as long as you have a new master for what ever chain you choose.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1341/F07F71BE34BE4DDD82AF8C590E67785E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-20-2005, 02:19 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Another 520 Chain and sproket Kit install

Nice! I really like that rotor

Old 11-20-2005, 02:41 AM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job and good write up. I am doing the simpler upgrade in a few days. Just the -1 in the front. I wanted to take baby steps to see when and where I felt a difference. I'm not a wheelie or top speed freak. I would just like to see how much better the take off is with -1. I'll post and let you know how much of a difference I notice in a week or so.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:31 PM

How does that rotor work? im thinking about the wave rotors too but i havent heard alot of feed back on them, good or bad. does it feel like you get the same stopping power from them?

Old 12-02-2005, 07:46 PM

Hey Don you never told us how your sprocket upgrade went.