600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

06 F4i motor help. Military

Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Default 06 F4i motor help. Military

Hey every one, I haven't every really poste here before but been a member for a while and sometimes use the info I find. Anyways, I'm in the army and just moved to Hawaii so I know I'm now far from alot of parts places. I used to race before the army and once i finish my last 3 years I plan on going to MMI or some bike mech school of some sort. I know a great deal about bike mech already. I just bought a clean, well kept 07 Aprilia RSV 1000 before moving here. I own a 06 CBR 600 F4i, bought it brand new in 06.

My issue is, before I moved here I was having major issues with 2nd and 5th gear. Both gears were stripped to the point of unridable. Every time I would shift to 2nd or 5th it'd just jump straight to neutral. Has anyone had this problem before? I know it's cause since I had the bike she's been through alot and held up for a while. Been on the track (Circiut style not drag) drag strips too, street, from Alaska to Alabama. Anyways sorry I ramble a little..

Here's what I got, I know it's not the clutch cause I just put a brand new (forgot the name of it) one in it before moving here. I've figured it's either the internal tranny gears or maybe the shift forks or something else. I will take it apart in a few weeks once I make a little more time to be able to work on it. Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone know where I can buy the shift forks, the gears or even a motor for it? Also does anyone know the biggest motor I could fit into the frame without having to cut TOO much. I can do just about anything besides welding because I won't have access to a welder once I break the bike open. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or message me here. Any and all help is greatly apretiated.
Thanks again, my name is Ron. I'm asking for this help cause of moving around with the army has left me Internet less besides my phone for at least a few weeks. Also if u have any questions about it or questions about the work I already done to it just ask.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Hi Ron,

I have not had this problem myself but I would think it is your gears and not the shift fork. I would think if it was the shift fork it would do it for all gears. The only way to know for sure is to tear it case about and look. Problem is if the gears are stripped then those pices are floating around in there and will just talk out all the other gears so if you're going to replace those 2 I would replace them all. As for getting parts I would just look online at bikebandit.com, dgy.com, cheapcycleparts.com, etc. If you want the whole motor I would check places like Ebay. Good luck and hopefully you get it fixed.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Hey Ron, one of our Welcome Crew members is down in Hawaii. Yumoncbr. She rides a 600rr but she gets parts from somewhere.

Maybe try sending her a PM and find out who supplies her

Old 09-14-2011, 10:45 PM

ok so heres an update of sitation, i apretiate your help R DUB but i got it split open and no sign of major stripping. just looks like normal wear of a 5 year old motor. any other suggestions? lol tuff little motor though, she doesnt want me to find the problem but i will. i cant just have it sitting in pieces in my basement. i tried asking local honda shop but no help. anyone out there have an idea?????

Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM

I am having the same issues. it is your shift forks and dogs. You are able to use them (2nd and 5th) but you can't accelerate, right? I have a 900RR and that is happening with my 2nd gear. I have a few people around here that are telling me that Honda is notorious for that. also check the shift dtum while youi have the bike apart so that you can make wure that it isn't wearing.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 PM

i just had the same problem you are having now. it turned out to be my shift forks and shift drum. may be your problem too. the problem with mine was when i shifted to 2nd and let off the clutch it just bogged down. i couldn't accelerate at all, no false neutral though. turned out my shift fork was grinding into the gear itself...