Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

For anyone who WAS/IS/WILL BE military

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For anyone who WAS/IS/WILL BE military

I attended another military funeral yesterday. For a man who has more than served his country, 5 tours in Iraq. He paid the ultimate price to defend this country. I believe that him and all others do not get the respect or the gratitude they deserve. So from me and anyone else who wants to chime in, I would like to say thank you for what you do. Knowing that some day you yourself may give your life to defend my freedom is in my opionon the most noble thing on earth. I am the son of a man who did 26 years and two tours in vietnam and my wife is currently in and will be deployed in June. So from me thank you for doing what you do, that, allows me to do whatever the hell I please.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Default RE: For anyone who WAS/IS/WILL BE military

ORIGINAL: F4Isvt

I attended another military funeral yesterday. For a man who has more than served his country, 5 tours in Iraq. He paid the ultimate price to defend this country. I believe that him and all others do not get the respect or the gratitude they deserve. So from me and anyone else who wants to chime in, I would like to say thank you for what you do. Knowing that some day you yourself may give your life to defend my freedom is in my opionon the most noble thing on earth. I am the son of a man who did 26 years and two tours in vietnam and my wife is currently in and will be deployed in June. So from me thank you for doing what you do, that, allows me to do whatever the hell I please.
+1
i know i may complain about gas prices or the government sucking the life from us, but YOU are the men and women that allow me to have the life i have. i owe you everything i have, literally. men and women in armed services deserve everything.

dying and killing for a country that does not support you is ludacris. i know it means nothing, but i support you. maybe not some of the ideals you are forced to enforce, but you, i do.

with that being said, i wish i could give more to those men and women... ah well, another one of my shortcomings.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:43 PM

George Orwell said "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us." and it couldn't be more true... Most of world lies blissfully unaware of the sacrafices made for them. Even if you don't support the war you should support the men and women who fight to allow you the freedoms everyone takes for granted

Old 04-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Friend and Hero ...

In reply to, your thank you, for most of us it's not needed. The service to this Great Nation starts out for some as a commitment to one's self, but quickly the grander picture reveals itself. It is a commitment to what helps hold the fabric of this country together for Good, Bad or Indifferent and it is pride inself achievement and accomplishments for the greater good than hold them in uniform. For others, it is family tradition and honor, and for those my grandfather statement holds the most truth. We are just paying this Great Nation back for the blessings it has bestowed upon us. I am a fourth-generation Marine and if family folklore holds true. We even had a ancestor at Tuns Tavern in 1775. I personally have a hard time accepting any praise or thanks, for anything that I have done. It was my choice and my choice alone

It is with a heavy heart, though. I speak these words for your post begins with the death of a service member for those who choose to step into harmsway. There is no greater risk it is one that we all except knowingly but pray that it never comes. I am sorry for the loss and will hold them in my prayers, may they truly find the streets of Heaven guarded by US Marines and the peace and happiness they so richly have earned for the ultimate sacrifice waiting upon them

Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 PM

In my book, one loss is one too many. Our troops always have and always will have my support, admiration, love, respect, and gratitude.

(Branch of service:Air Force - 8 years)

[Editted: So this threaddoes not turn into a heated debate. I'll gladly discuss this in another thread.]

Old 04-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Friend and Hero ...

This is a decent thread started for the right reasons and do not want to turn it into something else and have no intentions on doing so.
But with prior military experience, let me pose a question to you and see if you can understand where our logic comes from on this issue

first and foremost, we are dealing with an all voluntary force for the most part. And what I mean by most part. Is, there were some in uniform prior to 9/11, who may have been caught a little off guard. But they had to have some conscious awareness that something could transpire, while under contract. And if I personally did not believe that there was some good to be done in Iraq I would have not actively campaigned to return. Here's, how I see it

ARE THER THOSE WHO WANT OUR HELP ?..( YES ) DO THEY WANT SOCIAL REFORM AND FREED ? (YES !) DO THEY WANT IT ON THE TERMS WERE PROVIDING IT ? .. ( PROBABLY NOT ).And It Should Be a Non-Issue Whether or Not We Should Have Deployed in the First Place. We Are There for the Right Reasons Are the Wrong Reasons We Are There ! The Real Issue Should Not Be When Where Getting out but How to Turn the Whole ****ING Thing into a Success Story We Should Not Let This Be Turned into Some Political Quagmire like Vietnam Was in the Late 60s and Early 70s We Should've At Least Learned Something from That Mistake

Now this is the part I really want you to try to understand the most
Think about This, 'Saying We Support the Troops but Not the War' . Is like Saying. Man You Are Okay with Us, but That Wh*re You Married Has Got to Go. And God for Bid, You Have Any B@stard Children It's the Same Kind of Slap in the Face. Think ABout It!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Im lost, what was said?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654
Now this is the part I really want you to try to understand the most
Think about This, 'Saying We Support the Troops but Not the War' . Is like Saying. Man You Are Okay with Us, but That Wh*re You Married Has Got to Go. And God for Bid, You Have Any B@stard Children It's the Same Kind of Slap in the Face. Think ABout It!
I gots to disagree with you on that point man. Supporting troops is supporting the idea that somebody is willing to volunteer to fight for something, regardless of what that something may be. It takes ***** to sign that contract and dedicate your life to something like being in the military, especially those who know when they sign up that they are going to be going to Iraq or elsewhere in the Middle East. What most people oppose is the decision makers who use the military as pawns in a global game of chess. By your logic, you are essentially saying that is was more right for people who opposed Vietnam to **** on the troops when they came home because at least those people hated the war AND the troops.

That's totally wrong, ESPECIALLY in that war because it wasn't an all-volunteer military. That being said, I'm a 5-year Air Force vet. I also did funeral honors for over 70 vets in that time, and I respect ANYBODY who wants to put on a uniform...it doesn't mean that I have to support what they are made to do.

Here's a little Photoshop I did from a mock-funeral that was done during the Air Force Space Command Honor Guard competition, in which I represented Peterson Air Force Base. This is one of my all time favorite Photoshops that I have done, and captures the feeling and patriotism of a military funeral. I'm camera side in the middle.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM

nicely done on the Photoshop, Senior Airman

Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Friend and Hero ...

First of all you missed my whole mother ****ing-point.. Hell no. It was not okay for anyone to hate those who returned from Vietnam, who serve their country my statement was the whole thing was turned into a political quagmire. Nothing more than a campaign issue, and the actions and the true reason for the involvement was lost in that quagmire. Still is today

Absolutely those who signed a enlistment contract after 9/11 were aware of what they were getting themselves involved in. You call it a political global game of chest. I personally call it answering my countries call to arms, and I'll be happy to introduce you personally to a shipload of Reconnaissance Marines as well as other service personnel who believe so. And I damn well was in uniform, long before 9/11, and I absolutely need no Photoshop ****ing photo to remind me of what a military funeral looks like. I have ****ing attended more than I care to recall. I has served two full tours of duty in the sandbox and two thirds of another one. Only coming out after being injured by an IED and still was willing to return ASAP

Have you been to the mother ****ing sandbox are you speaking from knowledge from boots on the ground there and NO you do not have to support what they are doing regardless of how ****ed up that viewpoint may be. That's the reason you and myself and countless of thousands of others. Put on those uniforms is for you to believe what you choose, but you need to realize there are those of us who take your halfhearted support for what it's worth nothing

And to any moderators seeing this remember I did not want to start down this road

Quick Reply: For anyone who WAS/IS/WILL BE military