600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

'05 Sprocket Questions... Need Help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Sprocket Questions... Need Help PLEASE

I just bought a 2005 Honda CBR 600RR (7400 miles). I love the dam thing and have had it for about 3 weeks and already put over 1000 miles on it, it now has 8800. I am a little bit of a speed demon andI also like to stunt a little bit. (I drift and drag race cars so it is only naturalI do the same with a bike) I am still new to terms and new to the 2-wheel side of engines but I am just starting to get into bikes and I want to make my CBR do a power wheelie in2nd gear while sitting.I am a little worried when standing on the bike and doing wheelies... (I don't have the stability thatI do whenI am sitting) 1st gear is easy just gas to ~15mph let off and then full throttle and upI go... I want that same "easyness" but less throttle response... hence the 2nd gear part... SOOOO how doI do this...

*** Keep in mind... I do ride on the highway a little bit so I WILL be changing out the sprokets for that so that isn't so important ***

What I know for sure:

- in the front (more accel)
+ in the back (more accel)
o-ring chains is a must... x-ring is even better
everyone says -1 front +2 rear
change it all at once for proper wear
-1 front = +2.77 back

What I want to know for sure:

why go with 520 size(lighter than the 525... but less stronger, for hard clutch dumps right???)
aluminium vs. steel sprockets (alum is ligther, steel last longer??)
WHAT BRAND OF STUFF!!!(I hear vortex is the 1 to get but thenI hear it's crap... .. BK chains??? please give me all feed back)
how much top speed loss and how much MPG loss (with the -1/+2 top speed is now 140... is whatI found, but not sure)
whats thetorque specs of the sprokets andsuch (axle and anything else I would have to take apart for changing)
*******and anything elseI ammissing*********

and lets sayI do do the -1/+2 and chain setup... cause you want to change it all at once, that runs me what ~170 bucks plus speedo... and ifI want to change to highway I have to change 2 sprokets to get the best fuel econ and not have the RPM's so dam high andnot listen to the engine so much... I cruise at 90-100mph and it's ~8k already... can't imagine even higher... Also now I wearing my chain wrong because I have old sprockets with new chain right?...

NOW HEAR ME OUT... why don'tI just go -2 in the front, basically -1/+3. Now allI have to do is switch out the front sprocket and be done for highway. It's only 1 sprocket. like 25 bucks plus speedo and it will make me do a power wheelie even easier cause it's more than a -1/+2. The new sprocket will wear faster but who gives, it's like 25 bucks rather than 200 and when everything goes on the bike I will be a better rider and get a nice expensive setup.

what am i missing... will a -2 mess up the chain even worse willI break something becauseI am not changing the back and front in sync? I am new butI want to learn everythingI can about this thing... For the most part I know how, because it's the same concept as a car, but I want to learn specifics so i do it right.

I know it's a long post, but I tried to be as accurate as possible and make it easy to answer questions because you know exactly what I want/do.

THANKS SO MUCH

Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Default RE: '05 Sprocket Questions... Need Help PLEASE

-2 equals chain breaking, crashing, taking your leg off, ect...

You'll need to replace the rear sprocket if you are going to buy a 520 chain and front sprocket. Many sites sell kits, that include front, rear and chain. You want everything to be the same pitch. ie..(520, 525, 530).

Old 10-09-2008, 02:34 PM

wait... didnt you post this same thread... i told you exactly what to expect...

oh well yeah still dont do the -2. you will break your chain

Old 10-10-2008, 01:35 AM

Huh? I didn't post a thread about this?

Old 10-10-2008, 03:49 AM

no not you tomp, stage4.

which i know for a fact he did, i think he is just looking for other people's knowledge since the other thread he posted was in the plain 600rr not the mods section.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:08 PM

yea posted in both because o noticed some ppl post in 600rr and don't post in 60055 modification so i just posted it twice.. also twice as many ppl to look and give an opionion :-) but i just bought a -1/+2 with an x-ring 520 setup :-) thx for all the input :-)