1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

turbo info needed please

Old 06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo info needed please

hey all i was just looking aroubd at all the other turbo posts and couldnt find wehat i needed hence the post. what i am looking for is how to build a custom system. i need to know almost everything there is required to build opne. i am mechanically able to do this i just need the parts lists and all the normal bs that goes with it. any help is greatly appreciated. thanx

Old 06-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Default RE: turbo info needed please

good luck. i used to do custom turbo kits for hinda cars but the parts were all basically prefabricated and it sucked building it.. you are gonna need access to a good welder, steel piping, and alot of fittings.. i wouldnt do a custom kit unless you plan to have your bike down for a while.. if you do good luck to you..

Old 06-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know not what you ask. If you plan on building everything from scratch (header, plenum, up tube, exhaust) then you truly will be down a loooooong time. Now if you just wanna buy parts and throw 'em at the bike then you'll need:

turbo
plenum
header
exhaust
PCIII
rising rate fuel regulator
high pressure fuel pump
bigger fuel injectors (stock ones should be good to 200-220hp)
lots of oil lines (stainless) and high pressure fuel lines
air lines (1/8" and 3/16") for journal hoses
gauges (fuel pressure, boost)

That's pretty much what I started with when I did my Busa. Ended up with a little over 300hp at the wheel. Also ended up adding a blow off valve and water injection. Cost was $2500 5 years ago -- haven't shopped parts in almost that long so I'm sorry to say I don't have a line on any of the stuff anymore. In the end, I got rid of the stupid exhaust and just fabbed a dump pipe -- can you say "Way frikkin cool!!" boys and girls? I knew ya could[8D]

good luck in your endeavors -- and one piece of advice ... if you get all the parts and you're working on it and you really get pissed (I mean postal employee pissed[:@]) just walk away and leave it for a couple of days. The temptation to burn it will pass.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 AM

I also saw someone is making a supercharger kit for our bikes that fit inside the plastics, that intrested me a bit more, although i love turbos, i was thinking the supercharger could help with that off idle stumble a bit better and less fabrication.
the kit is around 4800 and aprox 4 weeks to delivery. If anyone is intrested ill dig through my million emails i have saved and find the link.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher
good luck in your endeavors -- and one piece of advice ... if you get all the parts and you're working on it and you really get pissed (I mean postal employee pissed[:@]) just walk away and leave it for a couple of days. The temptation to burn it will pass.
i realize that i dont really know what im getting myself into aas of right now but the idea that by brother pitched to me sounded really intriguing to say the least. anyways i definately agree with you on the point of walking away from something that pisses you off!!!!!!!!!! i have done may a projects on my ek civic and i learned that lesson the hard way. now how long did it take you to complete your turbo?

Old 06-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With dyno time after all the parts were in (I only fabbed up-tube and hose routing) it was about 3 weeks. Probably close to 80 hours of actual work. The time consuming stuff is often the simplest crap -- like how do you route the @$^#@ fuel line to keep the @$@*%*& tank from pinching it. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and I covered the beast and came back 3 days later with a fresh attitude.

And the thing is ... if/when you get it running just right ... dude ... it's sooooo schweeeeeet Maintenance will take on a whole new meaning though because there's like a dozen extra things you'll need to keep on top of to keep the boost flowing.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Retired Mod

my advise: but a kit made for your bike. the price is about the same as buying parts individually. i recently helped my friend (loosely helped, mainly watched) install a turbo kit on his 05 hayabusa. click here. the installation took about a week and the kit cost around $3500. the only issues where drilling the oil pan for the lines and (drumrole please chainstretcher) the pinched fuel line under the tank. i was there when he got it running and the tank was propped up for access to the fuel pump for fine tuning. everything was well so we put the tank down so he could take it for a quick spin. then it wouldn't start. long story made short, that fuel line was a pain to relocate.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:26 PM

problem is i havent see a kit yet for the 1000rr i would even consider putting on my bike.. you can definitely build a kit yourself cheaper with better quality parts if you have the time and patience..