1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Question about aftermarket rearsets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about aftermarket rearsets.

I know this may sound stupid but here it is goes. Aftermarket rearsets; aside from being able to adjust them, what other advantages do they have compared to the stock rearsets that we have on our bike? Also, some aftermarket rearsets that i've seen online were a bit heavier than our stock. So please if you haveany input, let me know. Thanks fellas!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Default RE: Question about aftermarket rearsets.

besides adjustibility, after-market rearsets are made up of individual components
easy to replace individual parts to fix in the event of a crash rather than the whole damn thing

also good quality aftermarket rearsets are stronger and able to hold up the bike in event of a crash
it can act like a frame slider

lastly they look 1001 times better than the stock stuff

Old 03-07-2007, 07:44 AM

Yeah I noticed that they look 500 gajillion times better than the stock hehehe. O.k, so aside from individual parts that can be replaced in an event of a crash and also the durability and the use of it as an extra " frame slider", basically that's it right? The reason, i'm asking is because I was just thinking of getting my rearsets powder coated instead of buying rearsetsthat goes aroundfor ahefty price of$300-$400. Honestly, i'vealways planned on going to the tracks but I don't think i'm going to able to have anytime this year since i'm going to Culinary School (Future Iron Chef ). I only have time to ride on the weekends, unless riding to and from work counts. What would you guys do? Pay $300-$400 for a new set of rearsets or just get your stock rearsets and have it painted? Basically, i'm just a weekend warrior~~ for now.[&o]

Old 03-07-2007, 12:15 PM

Rear sets are designed to bring your feet up for better ground clearance while turning. As far as crashing the only reason they may act like a slider is because the footpegs don't fold in like the factory ones. In an event of a crash they are goign to snap just like any other peg. If i were you i'd save the money and just powder coat the ones you have and save the money for school but if you really want new one's go for it. For your purpose and riding style they are merely just serving for looks.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 AM

Thanks Triax! Yeah, that's what I was thinking to just powder coat it. It would be a different story though if I did go to the tracks a lot, then I would get the aftermarkets. Anyways, thanks again guys!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 AM

why even waste money on powder-coating stock rearsets ?
just spray the suckerz with black and let 'em bake in the oven to harden the finish

Old 03-08-2007, 07:19 PM

Hmm, never thought of that?!!! Do you guys have any pictures of rearsets that has just been spray painted(cheepo style)?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:22 PM

Oh yeah if you guys can throw in some instructions, that would be nice too!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:34 AM

friend of mine painted his stock heel guard black to match his after market rearsets that don't have one

pm me next week - i'll ask him the specifics this weekend when we go riding together

Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 AM

$1 can of flat black paint is what I used. You can see it from my pics or visit aother post (click here) to see up-close photos.

After all, if you don't like it, you can always strip the paint off (your only spending a dollar).

Quick Reply: Question about aftermarket rearsets.