1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

looking to upgrade over winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to upgrade over winter

so i got my 06 1krr broke in now. i am looking to do a few mods over the winter, i live in ohio so we have lots of time to tinker over the next few months. i am settled on my pipe, and power commander 3usb, but am still looking at bmc or k&n? ifound the arrow slip-on i want with a pc3 usb with the arrow factory map loaded on it. with shipping to the door i am looking at 658 for the slip-on and powercommander. i just needto decide on the filters. the bmc standard 2 filter setup is around 116 shipped. the k&n is about 60 shipped. are the bmc that much better then the k&n filter? i mean with a slip-on and p.c3 is the filter gonna make that much difference? i am not looking for the most power i can posibly get, i just want smooth power bands and a little better sound. i do lots of wet commutes to work and need a filter thats gonna handle rain and dust. is the bmc ok for wet and dusty? thanks for any help

Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Default RE: looking to upgrade over winter

You do NOT want K&N. I have heard from a lot of people that they will rob your bike of HP.

I believe the BMC will add 1-2hp. I might buy a set some day, but I am not in a hurry.

Have you thought about doing a 520 chain conversion and dropping a tooth in the front? Thats fun!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 PM

whats the advantage of a 520 over the stock chain? why not just stick with the stock chain and drop one in front, or add two in the rear? if the k&n robs power i dont think i would buy them, but does the bmc race set up filter good? i have heard from some honda techs at the shop i got my bike from that the bmc race does not filter well. they said to go with the k&n or standard bmc filters. if i go with the bmc race filters and get caught in a down pour i dont want my bike sucking water in through the filters.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 PM

K&N lets more dirt through than BMC....so I've heard on numerous occasions....I cannot speak from first hand experience though.

Any chance you would rather invest all this lootin leather, tires and track days?

Those are upgrades that last.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 AM

BMC has 2 types of filters...street and race. The street filters better but is a little more restrictive. I have the race butI never ride on dirt roads and I check the filter every 6 months.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:10 PM

Doing a 520 conversion helps with less rotating mass and -1 in the front will give you more torque. I went -1 +2 520 conv and love it. I got it from cozye here on cbrforum for a good deal. Hit him up if your interested. Also the k&n does rob power on the 1000rr but not for all bikes. The stock filter is fine unless you want to get the BMC which are good. I'd go with the street set since you depend on it to commute. Next invest in getting a dyno tune for your bike. The generic maps are ok but if you want real power from the mods you've done do it! Every bike runs different, was broke in different, and is a different climate so generic maps aren't reliable imo. Gearing is where i'd spend the money first if you want it faster!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM

I already have a few sets of leathers, fresh tires on the bike. I also am doing mid ohio this summer for a track day. i dont realy want anymore power just to smooth the fueling out some. plus a little volume from the pipe would be nice. when my chain wears out i will look into the swap for that. i think i will go with the bmc street filter. and depending how it runs, i have a riding buddy who owns a shop who did a custom map on my other bike i own. thanks for the info.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 PM

if you just drop one in the front you will notice a huge difference. for about $40 and a half hour of your time it is well worth it.my bike it just much more freindly all over in every gear now with a 15 tooth front. no need to do the 520 conversion unless you have a couple hundered bucks to throw at it. i also would not go up in the back. it is difficult to keep the front end on the ground now in first gear with the 15 tooth front, one more in the back will only make it more lofty. just to clarify you do notmake any moretorque from the bikes engine by changing gearing. by changeing the gearing you alter the way the bike puts the power and torque it makes to the ground.

i have the bmc race filters for mine just have not been able to install, as stated they should give you a couple extra hp. i have had this deabte with other guys i rdie with about the dirt thing. i do notlive on a drit road and the bike will not see one so i went for the less restrictive race filters.

i live in MI so i know the winter routine.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: mihomie

if you just drop one in the front you will notice a huge difference. for about $40 and a half hour of your time it is well worth it.my bike it just much more freindly all over in every gear now with a 15 tooth front. no need to do the 520 conversion unless you have a couple hundered bucks to throw at it. i also would not go up in the back. it is difficult to keep the front end on the ground now in first gear with the 15 tooth front, one more in the back will only make it more lofty. just to clarify you do notmake any moretorque from the bikes engine by changing gearing. by changeing the gearing you alter the way the bike puts the power and torque it makes to the ground.

i have the bmc race filters for mine just have not been able to install, as stated they should give you a couple extra hp. i have had this deabte with other guys i rdie with about the dirt thing. i do notlive on a drit road and the bike will not see one so i went for the less restrictive race filters.

i live in MI so i know the winter routine.
definetly recommend the above advice!