1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

I need sprocket help....Please help

  #1  
Old 09-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Default I need sprocket help....Please help

Hey guys I had my 08 1000rr now for a while and im looking for more low end power. I only have a 2bros pipe on it and think i should change the sprockets around. Is this a good way to get the kind of power i want? Again i am looking for more power at low range, and I think the sprocket change should do it. My question is what sprockets do you change for this and by how much? I know nothing about changing the sprockets, I just know of guys doing it for different kinds of power.
Thanks for your help!
Jake
 
  #2  
Old 09-11-2009, 07:13 PM
wellarmedCr@cker's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Callahan, Florida
Posts: 270
Default

Yeah, sprokets will help. You running a power commander with your slip on? Go to http://www.rogueracing.org/gearing.htm for help on gearing.
 
  #3  
Old 09-11-2009, 07:18 PM
GP Paul's Avatar
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7
Default

I haven't changed anything on my 1000, but I have found that more than -1 tooth on the front will make highway speeds uncomfortable on previous bikes.
Also, while a smaller front sprocket may wear faster, at least you won't need to add links on the chain as opposed to adding teeth to the rear.
 
  #4  
Old 09-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by GP Paul View Post
I haven't changed anything on my 1000, but I have found that more than -1 tooth on the front will make highway speeds uncomfortable on previous bikes.
Also, while a smaller front sprocket may wear faster, at least you won't need to add links on the chain as opposed to adding teeth to the rear.
Yea could you just buy links for the chain or would you have to buy a new, longer chain? And no I just have the slip on and thats it
 
  #5  
Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 AM
chainstretcher's Avatar
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conyers, GA
Posts: 6,908
Default

It's always a good idea to replace sprockets and chains as a set. You can find some decent deals on ebay for a set. Just make sure it includes an RK or DID chain and not some cheesy Chinese chain
 
  #6  
Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Sprock's Avatar
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Republic of Boon Island
Posts: 11,005
Default

1 down on front, two or three up on rear is usually enough to give ya the punch you
are looking for...........and as mentioned ..........a quality chain

She'll be higher rpm when running steady out on the highway though ..that's the con
 
  #7  
Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF, CA, USA
Posts: 111
Default

Originally Posted by RaceIt454 View Post
Hey guys I had my 08 1000rr now for a while and im looking for more low end power. I only have a 2bros pipe on it and think i should change the sprockets around. Is this a good way to get the kind of power i want? Again i am looking for more power at low range, and I think the sprocket change should do it. My question is what sprockets do you change for this and by how much? I know nothing about changing the sprockets, I just know of guys doing it for different kinds of power.
Thanks for your help!
Jake
just to clarify
changing sprocket doesn't generate any extra power.. it just changes how it's delivered. Your BUTT will feel the difference, and that difference is in how it accelerates.
just be aware that your speedometer and odometer will have a larger %error when you do this. to alleviate this effect, get a speedohealer.
 
  #8  
Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 AM
abeer1's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 160
Default

Why would you want to change the gearing on a 1K? I can understand on a 600, but a 1k should have plenty in stock format.
 
  #9  
Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 AM
johnnyx's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,641
Default

Originally Posted by abeer1 View Post
Why would you want to change the gearing on a 1K? I can understand on a 600, but a 1k should have plenty in stock format.

That's an argument you don't want to start, my friend. If 1k's were enough power for everybody in stock format, nobody would make sprockets, exhausts, carbs, chains, power commanders, ignition timers, etc etc etc for them.
 
  #10  
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
johnnyx's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,641
Default

Originally Posted by RaceIt454 View Post
Yea could you just buy links for the chain or would you have to buy a new, longer chain? And no I just have the slip on and thats it
YOU MUST REPLACE YOUR CHAIN AND SPROCKETS AS A SET. It's in the freakin' manual.

And with all the money you're spending on that kit (that you don't need, assuming yoru current setup is not worn), you can just buy a PC and get an ACTUAL hp boost, not just a fake one that only feels like more hp at the expense of gas milage and engine wear (nearly double in some circumstances). After that, get the race manifold for your exhaust. Slip-ons are really for sound only, the hp boost is minimal as you're still not letting any more air pass through the engine. Hell 1 or 2 of the ~5 hp boost you get form a slipon is purely from the weight loss. Sprocket swapping is like the last thing you do when you've done everything else, and still just aren't happy with things. It doesn't add power, it just makes your front sprocket spin faster sooner, thus sending more power to the rear wheel early on. This does, of course, mean you're cruising at like 7k, which I've never gotten used to.
 

Last edited by johnnyx; 10-08-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need sprocket help....Please help


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.