CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   1000 Modifications (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/)
-   -   I need sprocket help....Please help (https://cbrforum.com/forum/1000-modifications-42/i-need-sprocket-help-please-help-100710/)

RaceIt454 09-11-2009 06:46 PM

I need sprocket help....Please help

Hey guys I had my 08 1000rr now for a while and im looking for more low end power. I only have a 2bros pipe on it and think i should change the sprockets around. Is this a good way to get the kind of power i want? Again i am looking for more power at low range, and I think the sprocket change should do it. My question is what sprockets do you change for this and by how much? I know nothing about changing the sprockets, I just know of guys doing it for different kinds of power.
Thanks for your help!
Jake

wellarmedCr@cker 09-11-2009 07:13 PM

Yeah, sprokets will help. You running a power commander with your slip on? Go to http://www.rogueracing.org/gearing.htm for help on gearing.

GP Paul 09-11-2009 07:18 PM

I haven't changed anything on my 1000, but I have found that more than -1 tooth on the front will make highway speeds uncomfortable on previous bikes.
Also, while a smaller front sprocket may wear faster, at least you won't need to add links on the chain as opposed to adding teeth to the rear.

RaceIt454 09-12-2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by GP Paul (Post 836105)
I haven't changed anything on my 1000, but I have found that more than -1 tooth on the front will make highway speeds uncomfortable on previous bikes.
Also, while a smaller front sprocket may wear faster, at least you won't need to add links on the chain as opposed to adding teeth to the rear.

Yea could you just buy links for the chain or would you have to buy a new, longer chain? And no I just have the slip on and thats it

chainstretcher 09-12-2009 11:53 AM

It's always a good idea to replace sprockets and chains as a set. You can find some decent deals on ebay for a set. Just make sure it includes an RK or DID chain and not some cheesy Chinese chain :icon_doh:

Sprock 09-13-2009 09:28 PM

1 down on front, two or three up on rear is usually enough to give ya the punch you
are looking for...........and as mentioned ..........a quality chain

She'll be higher rpm when running steady out on the highway though ..that's the con

perf0rmance 10-08-2009 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by RaceIt454 (Post 836095)
Hey guys I had my 08 1000rr now for a while and im looking for more low end power. I only have a 2bros pipe on it and think i should change the sprockets around. Is this a good way to get the kind of power i want? Again i am looking for more power at low range, and I think the sprocket change should do it. My question is what sprockets do you change for this and by how much? I know nothing about changing the sprockets, I just know of guys doing it for different kinds of power.
Thanks for your help!
Jake

just to clarify
changing sprocket doesn't generate any extra power.. it just changes how it's delivered. Your BUTT will feel the difference, and that difference is in how it accelerates.
just be aware that your speedometer and odometer will have a larger %error when you do this. to alleviate this effect, get a speedohealer.

abeer1 10-08-2009 05:50 AM

Why would you want to change the gearing on a 1K? I can understand on a 600, but a 1k should have plenty in stock format.

johnnyx 10-08-2009 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by abeer1 (Post 846021)
Why would you want to change the gearing on a 1K? I can understand on a 600, but a 1k should have plenty in stock format.

That's an argument you don't want to start, my friend. If 1k's were enough power for everybody in stock format, nobody would make sprockets, exhausts, carbs, chains, power commanders, ignition timers, etc etc etc for them. :icon_wink:

johnnyx 10-08-2009 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by RaceIt454 (Post 836263)
Yea could you just buy links for the chain or would you have to buy a new, longer chain? And no I just have the slip on and thats it

YOU MUST REPLACE YOUR CHAIN AND SPROCKETS AS A SET. It's in the freakin' manual.

And with all the money you're spending on that kit (that you don't need, assuming yoru current setup is not worn), you can just buy a PC and get an ACTUAL hp boost, not just a fake one that only feels like more hp at the expense of gas milage and engine wear (nearly double in some circumstances). After that, get the race manifold for your exhaust. Slip-ons are really for sound only, the hp boost is minimal as you're still not letting any more air pass through the engine. Hell 1 or 2 of the ~5 hp boost you get form a slipon is purely from the weight loss. Sprocket swapping is like the last thing you do when you've done everything else, and still just aren't happy with things. It doesn't add power, it just makes your front sprocket spin faster sooner, thus sending more power to the rear wheel early on. This does, of course, mean you're cruising at like 7k, which I've never gotten used to.