1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Fork Seals....Oil Weight Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Seals....Oil Weight Questions

I have and 07' cbr 1000rr. Doing the fork seals for first time.

Had a question...I pull ALOT of wheelies. Should I put in heavier fork oil?

Does anyone have any suggestions of oil and seals etc?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 PM

Have you ever bottomed them out coming down? If so I would stick with the same weight or even heavier to slow down the flow.

If your not, maybe try a lighter oil which should make it a little more forgiving on the way down.

I've only been in the field for two years and haven't ran into this issue but thats my best advice.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Yeah I have bottomed coming down. Not all the time but it does happen. I am not a heavy Person especially for the 1000 I only weight 165lbs and Im 5'6". Does anyone on here know if I should mess with compression and rebound clickers and if so What should I set them to.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would stick to the recommended fork oil weight. Preload is what will keep you from bottoming out. The more preload (clockwise turns in) in your forks the stiffer they get decreasing the chance of bottoming out. As you increase preload though you raise the front which slows the steering. If your forks are set up too soft (very little preload) then it will be easier to bottom out.

What settings are you using right now in your forks? The settings on sportrider.com are a good baseline to start with.

I checked racetech's website and the stock springs in your bike are actually a little stiffer than required for your weight so either you have too little preload or you need to set the front wheel down softer when doing wheelies.

Compression and rebound are used to improve handling in curves or on a race track. They will not keep the forks from bottoming out.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:34 PM

My clickers are set at stock settings. So I am not sure what exactly they are set to as of right now.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dont under estimate 1 liter
My clickers are set at stock settings. So I am not sure what exactly they are set to as of right now.
Did you buy your bike new? If not you never know what the previous owner did to the suspension. The preload is the nut (19mm) on the top of forks and needs a socket or wrench to change. (Note: If your preload nuts look new place a papertowel over them then the socket to keep from scratching the nuts while you make changes) To get the correct setting turn the adjuster clockwise until it lightly seats then turn it counterclockwise 7 turns.

The compression (2 turns out) and rebound ( 1 turn out) can be changed with a screwdriver.

Try these settings from the link below. If you still bottom out turn the preload in/clockwise 1-2 more turns. This should keep you from bottoming out.

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension...ngs/honda.html

Old 02-11-2011, 07:24 AM

Yes, I bought the bike new. And I will give that a try as soon as the parts get in and I get it back together and on bike Ill report back. Thanks for the help back doc.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dont under estimate 1 liter
I have and 07' cbr 1000rr. Doing the fork seals for first time.

Had a question...I pull ALOT of wheelies. Should I put in heavier fork oil?

Does anyone have any suggestions of oil and seals etc?
I just helped a friend replace the seals on his K7 Gixxer 1000.
I recommend using whatever oil the manual asks for and don't skimp on the seals. He bought some aftermarket ones and the fork that was leaking still leaked after the first fix. I helped him do both forks yesterday and he got some OEM seals (well they were better made than the other ones he bought).
You will also need special tools to take the forks apart. He bought a kit which included everything he needed for upside down forks. They aren't that expensive. It'll be really really hard to take them apart without the tools. Here's an example of what the tools look like (assuming you didn't know you needed them..)

PS: If you do a lot of wheelies you might want to change the bushings too but it's probably wise do do some research on that (to see if it's needed).

Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Default rebuilding forks

know of any how to vids about how much was the tool kit

Old 04-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

google is your friend.Also try youtube.

Quick Reply: Fork Seals....Oil Weight Questions