1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Carbon or alloy wheels for '04 CBR1000RR

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:00 PM
jg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon or alloy wheels for '04 CBR1000RR

I hear that there are new alloys that are almost as light as carbon, and much less money, as in the past alloy was always less, but there was a wieght issue. Is there an alloy that is only "grams" less in wieght compared to a carbon, that is afordable? What are the best alloy wheels to buy? If any one can help me on this it is appreciatted.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Default RE: Carbon or alloy wheels for '04 CBR1000RR

I have stock wheels and plan on keeping it that way, but are you talking about forged aluminum or magnesium maybe? When you forge those metals, it alows for a thinner wall while still being as stong as thicker non-forged alloys.
I'd stay away from that carbon ****. One hard bump or pothole and that wheel will explode in fragments. It's strong, but very brittle to impacts.

Anyway, I hear that Marchenesi (spelling?) is a popular choice. Check them out. Expensive though.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 AM

BST wheels are carbon. they are one of the lightest and strongest wheels on the market
they are also the most expensive.

marchechinis(sp) come in either AL of MG. the AL are lighter than oem and almost as strong. the MG are almost as light as the carbon fiber but no where near as strong, one good bump and they are history. they are track only and even then still need to be inspected annually

there are others of course, marvic, and that new MG brand for only like 1000.00 but no one has reported on them yet

Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 PM
jg

Thanks for the info