1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Air Intake Flapper Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Air Intake Flapper Mod

That hose is one of the vent tubes for the gas tank -- just stuff it back in the hole and make sure it isn't kinked.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is exactly what I did, thanks for the reply.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:40 PM

I did this last night, i took it out for a couple of high speed runs and really tried to feel the mid range gain. I really felt that the mid range was a little stronger, and the low end (starting from a complete stop) was much stronger than without the mod, it didn't strugle at all. I also only removed the vac tube and plugged it, didn't take all the componants out, so if i want i can just hook it back up in seconds if i do notice anything strange or negative.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:51 PM

ok maybe i just ate a big bowl of stupid for breakfast, but i cant figure out how to completely remove the whole flapper for the life of me. i read the article in the website, but it did not go into detail on how to completely remove the whole unit. (hehe he said unit!) anyways if any of yall know how could you pm it to me cause im completely lost thanx. oh and btw all i have done so far is removed the tube and plug it, and i noticed an immediate change in the bike!

Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM

You won`t get any further improvement by removing the complete unit, but i believe chainstretcher has removed all the gubbins, he should be the man to ask.........................CHAIN Holla at ya.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:34 AM

The Flapper mod doesn't affect anything about ~5500rpm. By then it would be fully open on a stock bike anyway @ WOT.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:48 PM

I did this mod it is one of the best mods you can do it stops the engine being starved of air at low engine sppeds. I noticed big difference made the power nice and smooth as my bike used to feel like under powered before as i know it was over fueling before .I will now remove the whole lot next but does anyone konw if F1 light will come on if remove the valve ? or should i leave just that on !. I will get dyno done soon so can tune it for best performance [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 01-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just plug the vacuum hose that's coming from the engine intake and you can remove the vacuum can thing and the actuator thing. But if you remove the actuator you'll have to find a piece of plastic or something to go in it's place other wise you'd lose airflow at higher speeds.

As far as the actual flapper itself -- take it out at your own risk. You gotta remove practically everything and still twist your hands around like a contortionist to get all the crap outta the way to pull out the flapper. Then ya gotta put all the itsy-bitsy teeny-tiny screws back in ... blind. With the flapper gone I suppose I'm getting a bit more air at speed so I guess it's worth it. But I was cussing some Honda engineers during the procedure.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM

i just did the plug up the vacume hose-flapper trick on my 2007 cbr 1000rr,,,,,omg,,,,I DO FEEL THE DIFFERENCE,,,,,the lag and weak take offs are history,,,,now its smooth all the way up the tachometer,,,,,THANKS GUYS,,,,,its very easy to do,,,just stick your hand underneathe the left handlebar in the fairing opening,,,,reach in and pull the hose,,,plug it,,,your done,,,,,dont forget to secure the hose,,,,i just stuck it inbetween another hose,,,,super easy,,,even my grandmother can do this mod......!!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Monyman, the hose that you pulled off and capped. is that hose hooked to what looks like a EGR valve on a car/truck? it's the only the vacuum hose that i see that i can reach without making something easy into a project, thanks man..

Quick Reply: Air Intake Flapper Mod