Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Friendly word of caution

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Friendly word of caution

As the weather warms, the 2 wheel riders come out, sometimes in droves. Quite often, folks don't take the proper time to get reacquainted with their bike before they head out into traffic. As such their riding skills are rusty at best.
Case in point, here in Alabama for the most part serious riders can ride year round, provided you have the right gear and don't mind a slight nip. But today was probably the 1st picture perfect day for riding. So naturally that brought the bikes out like crazy. While I was going straight through a stop light I saw a string of bikes in the left turn lane so I kept an eye out for them. The lead bike didn't even notice me, he was looking through the intersection. I slowed to an almost stop, but the guy swung wide right before turning left, handlebars wobbling the whole time. He still almost drove right into me. It was only when he was a few feet from me did he even realize that I was in the intersection. He gave me the "WTH?" look.
I said all of that to say, if you aren't riding full time, take it easy and get in some practice before you head out into rush hour traffic, you'll live longer.

Last edited by hamlin6; 04-21-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Spot on Hamlin, Here in Oz we are heading into winter and relative safety will prevail for those who ride the cold.

However, the first nice weekend in spring usually brings out the bikes in plague proportions - and the police. That weekend while riders reacquaint themselves with their bikes and the police reacquaint the riders with speed limits I keep myself and my bike safely at home. That first nice weekend it is very unusual in the Adelaide Hills not to have a motorcycle related fatality and numerous single vehicle (bike) accidents.

One year (a decade or so ago) when I did go out on a stunning early spring Sunday morning, I was stopped twice for a license and registration check during a two hour ride.

Stay vigilant guys and stay safe.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 04-21-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spot on. With the added note to areas where they spread grit on the roads during the winter, even though they've washed the streets it doesn't mean there's no gravel on the curves. Practically every single year, and this was no exception, someone rids themselves of their lives pulling a corner wide going outrageously fast, veers to the sand on the outer curve, and slides out. THE TIRES ARE HARD AND COLD AFTER THE WINTER AND WILL NOT HOLD NEARLY AS THEY DO AFTER A FEW HUNDRED KM:S. AND if the cagers don't see us well during the season, they're totally clueless of our existense until they get used to it again. Which is why I stay the h*** away from city centers if at all possible for at least a month.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wise advice above. As another rider from Adelaide I see so many bikes come to grief for those exact reasons. Personally , I just avoid the hills whilst its wet...and out does take some miles to get the tyres warm ( even the Q3's) Rather be slow and bring it home than have the bike and myself be brought home in alternative trans[port.

Knoffie

Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good words of advice!