F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

THE CCTL Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cct question

ORIGINAL: Xuracing

To be honest. NO, CCTs are stiffer when cold. Its when its heated up and the oil becomes less viscous does it start to rattle. Usually ccts dont make noise until at high rpm when warmer. If it makes the noise at cold and not when warm i would start looking somewhere else.

Can anyone verify this?
thanks
most definatly.....but lets get the terminology right, its the cctl, not the cct, they are two different parts.....when mine went bad i didnt notice anything wrong until the operating temp reached normal......then it made the awful noise.....

Switch it out to be on the safe side, its a two person job, really annoying, and very time consuming.......

There are good tutorials out there about how to switch it out.....I just did mine with the help of brveagle last weekend....if you have any questions, feel free to pm me or just ask them here....

Old 09-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Default RE: Cam Chain Tension Lifter Question (Diff. than most posts)

? you manual says what? What Manual do you have...your CCTL, when it is out of the motor and unless held by a tool will go to full extension and stay there. The CCTL works on the basis of a spring loaded screw. As it needs to pick up slack, the spring loaded "bolt" turns outward extending the lifter, there is no way pushing and pulling on it will make it go in and out. The only way to make it go back in once it automatically springs to full extension is to take the 10mm bolt out of the back and using the special tool or something you make, turn it back in. If you pull your CCTL and take the time to look at it and how it works you will see it all makes sense and the rattling comes from 1 of 2 things. Either the tip that is attached to the lifter with a roll pun(this is usally the cause) or the lifter rattling on the body of the CCTL itself.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Default RE: Cam Chain Tension Lifter Question (Diff. than most posts)

It's probably just the CCTL. Eventually it'll get so bad that it'll rattle in all RPM ranges. Replace that first, then check back.

As far as moving thecrank, you use the CKP (crankshaft position) sensor rotor located here:

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  33.7 KB

Old 10-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Default While replacing my cctl...

something went wrong. I originally tried to modify the noisy one. Installed it, didn't make any noise, but the bike started to leak oil. I thought maybe I hit it too hard with the punch and messed it up somehow, so I bought a new one. When I got in there again I saw that it was leaking from the back of the cctl (the hole that you insert a screwdriver to retract the shaft), not at the gasket. So I put the new one on there, rode for about 100 miles and noticed that it's leaking again and more than before. I haven't taken it apart yet, but it looks like it's coming from the same spot.
What could have gone wrong?

Old 10-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Default RE: While replacing my cctl...

did you put the screw back in there?

Old 10-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a flat crush washer afaik right where the screw sits. That's needed. Any other washer won't substitute, you'll need a flat crush washer.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: DBEAU

did you put the screw back in there?
I assume you mean the mounting screws? Yes, and they are tight.

[quote]ORIGINAL: ampfp
There's a flat crush washer afaik right where the screw sits. That's needed. Any other washer won't substitute, you'll need a flat crush washer.
[quote]
Those are there. Do you guys know what I mean by where it was leaking the first time, I'll get you a pic soon.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Here is a pic of the old cctl and where it was leaking from

Name:  1011081718.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  33.3 KB

It wasn't leaking from the gasket area, I'm guessing that I hit it to hard with the punch and messed up a seal. didn't modify the new one I just installed though, so I don't understand why it's leaking and even more than before.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:33 AM

there is a screw that goes in the end there. there are 3 bolts. 2 that mount it to the engine and 1 that screws into the back of the cctl. where your screw driver is pointing there is supposed to be a screw there.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Default RE: Is it my CCT?

If you go with the APE make sure it is adjusted properly!

Quick Reply: THE CCTL Thread