F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Gas in oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas in oil

Hi I just got my f2 on the road after 10 years and did a little trip yesterday. After smelling oil burning during the ride and my friends telling me I was smoking a little bit out of the tail pipe, I came and pulled out my oil dipstick to find that there is gasoline getting into my oil. I've cleaned the carbs multiple time but I've been told to clean them again. I've also heard that it may be running to lean because of a dirty air filter so I'll be changing that to see if there is an improvement. Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dirty air filter would make it a little on the rich side, not lean. Its not allowing as much air in for the same amount of fuel. I dont see how gas would get in to the crankcase while the bike is running. Now if it had a faulty float and/or petcock allowing fuel to flow into you cylinder and leak past the piston rings in to the crankcase while it sits over night, yes that could happen but not while its running. If it leaked that much fuel into the cylinders while running there wouldnt not be raw unburnt fuel leftover to leak into the crankcase. If it would even run with that much fuel leaking into the cylinder. Do an experiment, take your air filter out and go for a ride, does it run better or worse? If it runs better, its too rich. How much choke does it need to start/warm up? If very little to none, its too rich.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:26 PM

It needs a lot of choke to startup and it sometimes stalls when warm to. I'll take out the air filter and see how she runs.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 PM

Do you think there may be a Crack somewhere in the engine? The po told me that the bike overheated on him but he said the bike automatically shut off after the incident so I don't know if that's the truth and maybe there's a bigger problem somewhere?

Old 09-15-2016, 04:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well then with that being said, are you sure its gasoline in your oil? Maybe its coolant, maybe it has a cracked head or blown head gasket.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:23 AM

I checked the coolant, it's not foggy, I haven't seen any signs of a blown head gasket.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:56 PM

I appreciate your support coalminer, I'm getting oil tomorrow, I drained it and it was 50/50 gas and oil it was bad! I also found rest my air filter is a k&n so I cleaned it and it was sooo nasty. I'll keep you posted on what happens. I might try cleaning my carbs again but I'm really just hitting a brick wall with this I don't know what it could be!