F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Tire Question for F2

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Question for F2

Hey guys im looking to buy a new set of tires before the season starts. My question is what tires do you F2 owners use and where do you buy them. I've looked around ebay but I want to make sure to buy a decent set of tires if im spending $200+

Thanks guys

Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 AM

I take it you are going to mount and balance the tires? I like Michelin or Metzler on my F2. Got Dunlops on my F3. Will probably switch to Michelin when they are worn out.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually run michelins. I have always likes them. This last time though, I actually bought the shinkos. I must say, they arent bad at all. My reasoning was I wanted to get the most life out of a tire as I could. My commute is pretty much a straight shot 52 miles one way, 6 days a week. They have about 2400 miles on them now and still look brand new. They handle good in the rain, and torrential downpours. They do take a while to warm up, but for 175 a set, I couldnt beat it. Tires are a personal preference, and brand loyalty is a major thing around here lol.
Best bet would be to let people know what your intended uses are. track days, spirited riding through curves, or commuting etc. That will let other riders give you a more informed opinion.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM

I will just be using it for commuting between school and work, I take a look at the shinkos since most of the time ill be riding 50 miles roundtrip to work.
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Welcome Crew

no problem.if your commuting and its more or less straight then you definitely should look at a dual compound tire. They dont stick as well as an all out sport bike tire but they last longer cause the middle is more of a sport touring compound. I have nothing bad to say about the shinkos. Especially for the price

Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by gtcole
no problem.if your commuting and its more or less straight then you definitely should look at a dual compound tire. They dont stick as well as an all out sport bike tire but they last longer cause the middle is more of a sport touring compound. I have nothing bad to say about the shinkos. Especially for the price
definitely go with a dual compound, anymore most sport tires are, but if youre mostly commuting, any street tire will easily last you over 5k miles. Had over 7k on a set of metzeler m3's, and have 4-5k on a set of pirellies with a track day and a couple trips to the drag strip on them, and they still have plenty of life.

you, if you havent already, will find out that everyone will give you a different opinion on tires. Just find a tire/brand you like and go with it.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 AM

I used to always stick Michelin pilot power 2ct's on my 749s
So when I come to re boot my cbr then I'll look for these, they have decent life, stick very well and will give you a lot more contidence. I paid about £230 fitted a pair

Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gtcole
thats good to hear because i was thinking of going with the shinkos next tire change..

Old 04-05-2014, 09:22 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not brand loyal but i would tend to go with bridgestone or dunlop but i just bought a set of metzeler sportec m3s for the first time because of a great deal on them..

Old 04-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Welcome Crew

Originally Posted by squale147
thats good to hear because i was thinking of going with the shinkos next tire change..
I still have them on. The 009. As a matter of fact when I have to replace them, I will buy another set. Just can't beat the bang for the buck. They have sat since I tore my bike down and still have the correct air pressure. Definitely worth checking into if your on a budget.

Quick Reply: Tire Question for F2