CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Rebuilding the cane

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tds94probe. Got a lot done the last couple nights. The cooling system is all together, front and rear wheels are on, handlebars, and a bunch of other random parts are on. I would have had the entire drive system together but apparently Honda uses an "endless" chain. I didn't feel like taking the swing arm off for a 3rd time so I tried to break the chain and I ended up literally breaking it . So today I'll head to the shop to see if the chain can be saved. I'll also pick up a new voltage regulator/rectifier while I'm there, hopefully that will fix my charging issues.

Tonight my friends are coming over to help so hopefully we'll get some stuff done. Here's what I want to get done this week...
1. Brake calipers painted and installed
2. Rear drive system installed
3. Find a new place to mount the oil cooler
4. Install the wiring harness
5. Install fuel system

After all that's done I should have a running bike, then I get to start spending money...new plastics, headlight, instrument panel, brake and clutch levers, mirrors, hand grips, turn signals, brake light and who knows what else.

Stay tuned, I'll have more pics tonight.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Found this on my camera today, just thought I'd throw it up here so you guys can see what she looked like last summer.

Name:  CBR2.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  72.7 KB

Old 05-02-2011, 01:30 PM

I pretty much have that exact same pic somewhere of my bike. Even looks like the same super trap exhaust. But mine is black! Looks like things are coming along nicely. Great job!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Here's how she sits now. Just a few more parts need to go on before I can fire 'er up.

Name:  IMG_1010.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  84.2 KB

Old 05-03-2011, 04:55 PM

It's a beautiful thing!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 PM

Nice work man, that thing looks sweet. You still gonna streetfighter it or throw some plastics on?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy ****

Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 AM

beautiful work!
Can you show me what type of ink you use?

Last edited by PSonic; 05-06-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 AM

Bizzyb, I don't really know what to call it, I guess it will be closer to a "naked" sport bike than anything else. It will get a tail fairing off a newer cbr, as well as a belly fairing off of a Honda hornet. I still have to buy all the plastics and cosmetic stuff so I'm not really sure what I'll end up with.

PSonic, by ink do you mean paint? I used Rustoleum Black Textured spray paint. I think it turned out ok, but It's not nearly as strong as I would like. It scratches and chips very easily, even after I clear coated it.

Speaking of clear coating, does anyone know of a aerosol clear coat that is gasoline resistant? From past experiences I know that this rustoleum stuff doesn't hold up at all to gasoline, and I'm worried that if any gas drips on the frame or motor It's gonna wreck the paint job. Any suggestions?

I've been working on getting the wiring harness all back together...what a nightmare! The previous owner really hacked it to pieces so my Hanynes manual isn't helping much. I'll have some pics this afternoon.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 PM

sorry for my english.
I know that problem with scratches!!! I painted my hurricane frame with black matte and was beautiful but in first time I didn't put primer and I had problems in winter, in some spots the paint get off. After that é put a primer and painted after, now the paint in frame is more strong, but if we need take off a wheel or another thing the paint in that spot get off.
this is my cane during paint job last summer:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

My dream is make a convertion to 03 RR, good luck with your project.
a little poor photoshop!!!!!!

Sorry for my english once more

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the cane