Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Yes you should buy it!
I second this motion.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not quite as nice as the first but still a great find. I noticed that both are missing the fuel petcock ****. My bike is missing it as well. Poor design I guess!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They break at the screw or people loose them when working on the bike. On the 7 bikes I have only two of them had the ****...and a couple had no fuel pumps. Lots of people do what they have to do to keep them running...at least pumps are still available. Finding parts to finish bikes is a pain tho.

That's why I stockpile parts when I find them at a decent price.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:28 AM

I tore the black and red bike apart enough over the weekend to see that it will be a parts bike. It's rough and has not been taken care of. There are some major issues. It threw a chain at one point in it's life. The crankcase is chewed up. The back of the ignition is missing and the guy cut up the wiring to add toggle switches and buttons to get it running. A bunch of shade tree bad fixes. It could all be repaired but the bike is just too rough to waste the time.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:42 PM

Since we're talking about painting in my other thread...I have been working on the bike from this thread. It was down on the right side and the front fairing and side fairings were damaged. I'm trying to do a quick fix for now, and will probably come back later and do a little better job on it.

I had a good front fairing that I cleaned up and primed and prepped it for paint.

Name:  fairing_zpsyypxicpp.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  581.1 KB

Then I painted it pearl white. As close as I could come to the original Honda color.

Name:  pearl_zpsvjjakioe.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  558.6 KB

I also prepped and painted the right filler panel. I am still working on the right lower and inspection cover. I painted the lower stripes in a light metallic blue. Still trying to find the proper blue mist that was used on this bike. This is the part I will come back and re-shoot later when I find the paint. I wanted to get the bike together and decide what I'm going to do with it.

Name:  right_zpsozjacxia.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  403.0 KB

It doesn't look too bad. I still need to shoot clear over the parts, but am waiting until I have all of them ready. Thought I would show the progress.

Name:  quarter_zpspvghzpbi.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  445.8 KB

Name:  overview_zpsk21gxajb.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  436.0 KB

Old 04-21-2016, 12:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably have the right blue, just not 20+ years of paint fade with it. Reshoot all the stripes with your blue, it looks great. Then get rid of that horrible pin striping.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:39 AM

Yes, your probably right. I found another Honda silver blue that I think is closer. I tried to get the original color mixed but not available. I'm going to reshoot it because I really don't want to paint the whole bike right now.

It's possible to match the fade by adding air to the gun...metallic paint is really hard to match tho.

The pin stripes are awful IMO...people on Facebook like them. Weird.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

They look a little more like pimp stripes to me. I love the bike, just not a fan of the stripes.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 PM

I like the 89 stripe design. This one is the rarest color combo. I like to make them like they were.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:20 PM

A little more work on this CBR. I did all the bodywork on the right side which had been down. I laid down the pearl paint and the silver blue base. It turned out pretty good but the silver blue is darker. These are hard colors to match especially on a 27 year old bike. Even the original paint is different in spots. I'm thinking I will paint the whole bike now. I'm going to shoot the clear on the parts I have done and see how it looks.

This is such a nice bike it deserves to look good.

Name:  Side%20By%20Side_zps9vshw8ik.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  294.4 KB

Quick Reply: I Found Another F1 to Save