CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

I Found Another F1 to Save

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I Found Another F1 to Save

I found another F1 that needed saving.

It's an 89 that was sitting in a shed for 17 years. I think it must have been pretty dry in the shed because the bike came through the wait pretty clean.

Found a mouse nest in the air cleaner...they seem to love these bikes because they can go in the snorkle tubes. I find them in all of these bikes after sitting.

This one will be put back on the road. Will need everything gone through, new tires and some TLC but worth it.

Can't believe I keep finding these and the owners give them away. I paid $400 US for this bike.

I'm keeping the F1 flags flying!

Name:  New%20Clean_zps2cfxfbez.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  617.4 KB
Name:  Tank_zpsmpcxjaf1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  512.8 KB

Old 03-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Outstanding find. You are very fortunate friend. For whatever I don't have the same luck. They are hard to come by in my neck of the woods. I've been looking for a long time and haven't found anything.
You will have to start another thread for us to enjoy.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:31 PM

Hamlin,

I think I am turning into a F1 picker. I keep my eyes open. You can find them if you keep looking.

I will start a thread for it...once I start on it. Will probably just change the fluids and clean the carbs and see if she runs for now.

I have 6 F1's now so lots of work going on. Although this one won't take much. It's a little scuffed up on the right side from going down. Been looking for paint. I found the Pearl White, but the Winter Lake Blue Metallic is a tough one...seems this is a rare color combo. Most of the 89's sold were White with Red and Blue stripes.

Dennis

Old 03-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe this! Amazing find. That bike looks untouched. How many miles are on the odo?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by -Maverick-
I can't believe this! Amazing find. That bike looks untouched. How many miles are on the odo?

Yeah...I can't believe this one...it's really clean. I took all the plastics off yesterday to change oil and get it ready to try and run it. Just as clean underneath. It has a lot of oil on some areas from the guy over lubing chain and front axel. Like he just sprayed it on...probably a good thing it protected stuff.

It has 28K on it. Only run until 1998 so that is why it's fairly pristine.

I've talked before about how these F1's don't get much respect. They are disposable to most people. I looked at this as a parts deal originally. Just the fairings are worth way more than I paid. This one is too clean to part it out so it will see the road again.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, what a nice score. I paid that much for the wreck-without-fairings I started with.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doc B.
Man, what a nice score. I paid that much for the wreck-without-fairings I started with.

Yeah I know...you remember what the Playboy bike looked like when I got it. I thought the 1990 I bought last fall was nice but that one was missing the lowers. This one is really nice.

I took the carbs off today to clean them and they have never been off the bike. It's just as nice under the covers...wow! I'm shocked.

Here a couple pictures with the lowers off.

Name:  right_zps7oc7bbae.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  530.7 KB
Name:  left_zpsgonchgwj.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  508.6 KB

Old 03-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's just not fair.
My cane has had cracked plastics since I bought it 1999. Never have been able to find a parts bike or a decent runner for anything under $2500 within 400 miles of here.
I gave up on her looking good and finding body panels about 2006 and just tell everyone she is a bare knuckle boxer, she's got a broken nose, scars on her eyebrows, and cauliflower ear, but will kick your *** still.
Mine is mechanically 11/10, cosmetically 5/10.

I would love a stock one again. In my pursuit for more power and faster 1/4 time in the early 2000's I overbuilt the bike to the point it is not as fun on the street anymore. Clipped waterpump with higher compression, cams, etc, makes it want to dang near overheat at every stop light, plus it is track bike loud now.

My daily ride now is a Kawasaki Concours 1400. The cane sits in the garage far too much.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:16 AM

I hear you drakito. It was a lucky find. The situation was sort of strange. The guy listed it as a parts bike because there was an issue with the title, but after we made the deal we figured out what to do to get the title...that made it a better deal.

Around here people look at these early bikes as starter bikes so they don't hold as much value. Remember this one hasn't been run for 17 years, so selling it is more difficult because most buyers want a running bike. That lowers price also.

I'm not afraid to take on a non-runner because these bikes are pretty bullet proof...after 6 bikes I haven't gotten one I couldn't get running.
Running bikes go for $1500-2000 around here. It's the barn/shed finds that turn up for less. To find an unmolested one like this is rare especially at the price.

It's all relative tho...if you got one it really doesn't matter what it looks like if it runs.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know, I might be the only member here who has blown the stock motor on a cane. I had a cheap oil filter fall apart and send the filter media into the head, clogging the cam journal on the intake cam and nuking the head and cam in the process. A full tear down and rebuild back in 2001 started the bike towards all the modifications I did over the years since. I went with the 1990 revised head and had it ported, polished, and milled, then the HP bug bit me hard, and the rest is history.

Quick Reply: I Found Another F1 to Save