CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Electrical Issue or something else???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical Issue or something else???

Hello all,
After two weeks working on my bike i thought it would be great to get to ride it. It started fine, stayed idle for few minutes, turned off, let it cool a few min then turned it back on just fine. Took off then at a stop sign i lost balance and slowly let it dropped then it didn't want to start. I had to get a jumped start then it did right away. I drove back home, check the battery with a multimeter and got readings of 10.80V. I got it to start again by jump start check battery voltage and it was slowly decreasing by .2 units however then rev up and voltage would increase dramatically to 12 V then drop down. I turned it off to tried to start it again but nothing but the clicks coming from the starter cilinoid then it completely drained. Check voltage again and it was at 10.8V.
I left it sitting there and when i came back it did not wanted to start not even with a jump start. I let the cables connected a few min then it started by also pressing the throttle to give it some gas. I checked voltage 10.6V and slowly going down. Rev it up it went all the way to 12V then drop down. Turned it off and it won't start again. Battery was at 10.3V so i took it off and let it charge at a rate of 2amps so hopefully it;s fully charged.
This is a brand new battery. Could it be that is faulty? It shouldn't drain its voltage this quick. Do i have a short somewhere causing the battery be drained? I installed H4 headlights, are they too strong for the bike so i should go with EOM light bulbs?
Some post i read my suggest rectifier is faulty but if when i rev up and see voltage being increase in the batter, wouldn't that show that the rectifier it's doing its job? I'm new a bikes so please advise. If you have questions so you can better assist me please let me know as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some post i read my suggest rectifier is faulty but if when i rev up and see voltage being increase in the batter, wouldn't that show that the rectifier it's doing its job? I'm new a bikes so please advise.

I'd say your regulator/rectifier is toast. Standard charging rate is around 13.5V+ at 3000+ RPM - anything lower and your reg/rec is toast, or your new battery is faulty.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 AM

+1 on the regulator. It's a common problem.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+2 on the regulating rectumfrier

Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 AM

Thanks guy for the prompt response. I left the battery charging last night so I can test it with a fully charged battery and proceed with the same test done as I explain on my original post. If same result is found, how do I know if battery is faulty or rectifier? I had a friend test the rectifier at his work place and he said it passed. What test he did idk? I have a feeling the battery may be faulty as I cannot believe that just by starting the bike the battery will drop 1v in a second. Is there a particular type of battery for this motorcycle? I remember the box said it can be used in watercraft and any type of 12v vehicle so idk if autozone gave me one for this very strong bike.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 AM

Any aftermarket rectifier? EOM is expensive and if it's a known issue I wouldn't want to buy something it will break soon again. Bike has 23k miles. How often do EOM rectifier fry?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 AM

ok so before i left home to work i checked voltage on fully charge battery and it yield 12.8V. Plug it into the bike and started it just fine. Voltage drop from 12.8 to 12.4V then slowly and hesitant it keep changing while idle from 12.4 to 12.41 to 12.39 then back to 12.42V so idk if it's my multimeter giving the small difference charge. Then i moved ahead to rev it up to 3k rpm and battery charge went to 13.5V then rev it up to 5k rpm and charge increase a bit to more than 13.6 or 13.7V but can't remember now. I shut down the bike but did not attempt to started it again as i was already late to work. I left it plugged in to the bike and will perform the same test later when i get home. i know it was on 12.38V when i left. Any other type of testing you guys may recommend. Thanks again for your assistance.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have your battery "load tested" - sound like you may have one suspect cell.
At 5000RPM you should have 13.5-15V going in - if not, I still suspect the regulator
How often do EOM rectifier fry?
A lot more often than replacement ones which are better engineered and have better heat dispersion properties (like big cooling fins)

Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The battery doesn't rally charge at idle, that's why the guys told you to check at 3000rpm.

13.5v @ 3000rpm sounds good to me, maybe you're right to suspect the battery. Do you know how old the battery is?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 AM

I just bought the battery like 3 months ago, but i think i saw the sticker on it and it was 2011, but i'll check once i get home. I assume it would make a difference on the age of the battery to its ability to hold charge, is that correct? Now my garage does get hot and humid, would that affect the battery or any other electrical item such as wiring or fuse. I just recently added H4 light bulb from my auto part store, could they be draining the battery as they are not EOM bulbs? I had this problem even before these light bulbs so i doubt it, but you never know.

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue or something else???