600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

undertail exhaust on my F3/ my 98 project bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile undertail exhaust on my F3/ my 98 project bike

so i found a week old 2007 yamaha r1 exhaust cans for 75$ and i wanted to fab them to my stock F3. i didnt want to change my sub frame or my tail i wanted everything to be mostly stock. i just have to fab up a heat shield and cut out the tray under the seat( can i do that with out it screwing anything up?). and then bring it to a exhaust shop and get it connected to my headers. when i got home i grab the exhaust cans and found out there was no way i would be able to get both under the tail so i said f-it and im only using one. i also am buying the race baffles for it/them because i cant buy just one( oh well) but hopefully it will still sound badass. i also need to make a bracket for my license plate. i brought it to get it tuned up for this season and also my fairings have been taking them because im painting them. i will def post pics! but i wonder if any of you guys could give me some pointers on how to make the bracket for exhaust and license plate or any good ideas! from what i saw when i put the can under the bike it seems to fit fine and the tubing from the can even points in the direction i need haha. i will keep you guys posted.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM

i also have to take of the mud guard( will that hurt anything if i do)

Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM

You should have no issues taking off the mud guard. The under tray supports the center tail section with that metal u shaped piece bolted to it. Maybe you could set up a metal part to suspend that center tail support and also loop down for another bracket to tie into for the lisence plate and/or tail directionals. Much like the newer RRs have.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM

well my father actually knows a metal fabricator which makes things much easier. i dont have my bike to snap photos because its getting worked on. but where that tray was there is a bar that goes across that the tray is also bolted onto. what i am thinking is cutting of the tray and making it u shape like u said and have that as my support. i dont think the license bracket wont be hard. but im still having trouble coming up with the exhaust hanger and heat shield. any thoughts?

- thanks for replying northernfirepower!

Last edited by xxrals22xx; 03-06-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 AM

I think you can get both pipes in place. I had a 600rr pipe under my stock F3 seat at the time and it worked for me. Get rid of that stock license plate holder because fabricating something in its place is easy. Once you have done that you have all the room you need because I used a 600rr pipe and it was big. Also the R1 pipes already have heat shield on them and your bike will not get that hot as long as you are on the road moving the heat away from the bike as you are ridding along. What I would do with the R1 pipes is instead of trying to put them side by side like the original set up simply tilt each pipe at a angle that will save you alot of space. Email me at cjgoals@yahoo.com and I will send you a picture of a bike that uses stock R1 pipes so it will give you some ideas.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Old 03-07-2009, 08:36 PM

valkyie, i decided im just going to use one r1 exhaust. it will be alot easier but i still going to buy the baffle kit. sell the other one to someone. the license bracket was already cut off so i didnt have to worry about that. but once i get my bike back ill snap some photos of it fabricated up in place.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Well good luck with your project.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:28 AM

u guys are lucky sons of @(*)$@)(*$

I would LOVE to have an under tail exhaust. Lol but Im not good at that kind of stuff...