Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Does anyone else regret starting on a 600?(cbr600rr)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 11:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wow what a trip down memory lane!!

Read below

Old 01-28-2024, 12:12 AM
Default Long post but will try to keep it brief

Hello,

I am the original poster of this post from 10 years ago LOL.

I went through an old phone and found I had screenshots I took of this post when I was riding and decided to revisit it.

Firstly, now that I am almost 30 (where tf did time go?!) I stand by the 600rr is still too much of a bike for a brand new/first time rider. In hindsight, the ninja 300 or the cbr500r that released around the time I rode bikes is what I should have got and is what I would recommend (and still do) to many folks. My original fear of the bike 100% was mental in hindsight. The fear of getting into a car accident or losing control of my bike and wrecking it was in the back of my mind about 24/7 for the first 4-8 weeks and that’s what really threw me off lol. Once I actually had about 6 months under my belt, I was very, VERY comfortable with the bike. The biggest factor that made me break through was actually doing track days and properly gearing up every time I went out for a ride(more on this below).

Second, I no longer ride anymore. However, I did ride for about 6 years and clocked in over 100k miles between my years riding of daily commuting and track days. I absolutely loved riding and given the chance again I would pick it back up 10/10 times.
For context, I was a 365/24/7–4 season die hard rider from the years 2014-2017 rain/snow— didn’t bother me one bit and even in single digit weather, I was geared up in heated gear+grips and chose my bike over car lol. Yeah I was kind of nuts haha.

I can’t stress this enough, the old saying is true “dress for the slide, not the ride”. I became an advocate of riding with gear every single time I’m out on the bike. Doesn’t matter if I’m going down 1 mile down the street to the gas station, or if it’s 100 degrees outside, I never hit the road without my full dainese race/track suit… yes that’s right… full race suit, boots, gloves, and hi-viz vest on top. Ever since the day I ordered my suit, I’ve never left my home without being geared up. Also, hi-viz was a huge make or break for me. I Made sure I was visible to everyone and anyone on the road. Ultimately these two habits made me way more comfortable getting on my bike and by the end of the first year of riding — roughly 10k miles later, riding was second nature to me.

Halfway through my riding I ended up switching to supermotos. From the day I picked up my first sumo, I actually never went back to the cbr or any sport bike in fact😅. The cbr was great fun, but a properly setup big bore drz400sm or husky 610 was my preferred bike for the latter half of my riding days.

Unfortunately I no longer ride anymore due to personal reasons and have moved onto other things in life. Just wanted to poke my head into this one last time. And say thanks to everyone who helped encourage me to keep on riding. Made lots and lots of memories and met my best friends through bikes.

Take care all!

The following users liked this post:
dannoxyz (03-30-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 316 Likes on 260 Posts

Holy smokes. I remember the origination of this thread like it was yesterday. I can't believe it's been almost a decade ago. I will say that it's aged very well. It still percolates to the surface every now and then.

Great follow-up post. I enjoyed your insight.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:02 PM
Received 392 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridealongch
Hello,

I am the original poster of this post from 10 years ago LOL.

I went through an old phone and found I had screenshots I took of this post when I was riding and decided to revisit it.

Firstly, now that I am almost 30 (where tf did time go?!) I stand by the 600rr is still too much of a bike for a brand new/first time rider. In hindsight, the ninja 300 or the cbr500r that released around the time I rode bikes is what I should have got and is what I would recommend (and still do) to many folks. My original fear of the bike 100% was mental in hindsight. The fear of getting into a car accident or losing control of my bike and wrecking it was in the back of my mind about 24/7 for the first 4-8 weeks and that’s what really threw me off lol. Once I actually had about 6 months under my belt, I was very, VERY comfortable with the bike. The biggest factor that made me break through was actually doing track days and properly gearing up every time I went out for a ride(more on this below).

Second, I no longer ride anymore. However, I did ride for about 6 years and clocked in over 100k miles between my years riding of daily commuting and track days. I absolutely loved riding and given the chance again I would pick it back up 10/10 times.
For context, I was a 365/24/7–4 season die hard rider from the years 2014-2017 rain/snow— didn’t bother me one bit and even in single digit weather, I was geared up in heated gear+grips and chose my bike over car lol. Yeah I was kind of nuts haha.

I can’t stress this enough, the old saying is true “dress for the slide, not the ride”. I became an advocate of riding with gear every single time I’m out on the bike. Doesn’t matter if I’m going down 1 mile down the street to the gas station, or if it’s 100 degrees outside, I never hit the road without my full dainese race/track suit… yes that’s right… full race suit, boots, gloves, and hi-viz vest on top. Ever since the day I ordered my suit, I’ve never left my home without being geared up. Also, hi-viz was a huge make or break for me. I Made sure I was visible to everyone and anyone on the road. Ultimately these two habits made me way more comfortable getting on my bike and by the end of the first year of riding — roughly 10k miles later, riding was second nature to me.

Halfway through my riding I ended up switching to supermotos. From the day I picked up my first sumo, I actually never went back to the cbr or any sport bike in fact😅. The cbr was great fun, but a properly setup big bore drz400sm or husky 610 was my preferred bike for the latter half of my riding days.

Unfortunately I no longer ride anymore due to personal reasons and have moved onto other things in life. Just wanted to poke my head into this one last time. And say thanks to everyone who helped encourage me to keep on riding. Made lots and lots of memories and met my best friends through bikes.

Take care all!
@Ridealongch

Thank you for checking in and sharing your insights & experience!

Cuda (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by tkddns308
Hello, I'm a new rider, and I'm making this post because I want to ask if anyone regrets starting off on a 600cc SS motorcycle. Although I LOVE my new cbr600rr I regret buying her so much and wish I could switch to a smaller bike. PLEASE IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE A NEW RIDER AND YOURE READING THIS, PLEASE do not buy a 600 for your first bike. The bike is absolutely terrifying, and is NOT meant for a beginner rider like like you and me. Please, please, please do yourself and your loved ones a favor and buy a lower displacement bike. Again, I regret this bike so much! Please don't make the same mistake I did!

I ended up with this 600rr because I found it on sale(cost $600 less than the cheapest ninja250 on craigslist!) and if I could go back, I would have grabbed the ninja 250 for $2400 instead. The cbr600rr is just too much. The bike is not something to learn on, it's Absolutely terrifying and leaves almost margin for error. Every time I ride this bike, I feel like I fighting for survival. I'm always focused on throttle, clutch, and braking control, rather than enjoying the bike or watching for other hazardsand cars on the road.

But I can't lie, I do feel "cool" because I've started out on a 600, and I can't lie that my ride looks super sweet as I look at it before every time I ride it. But, as a 19 yr old kid who dreams of taking the bike to the track and racing one day, this bike is certainly the wrong bike for me(for now).

As much as I do my best to respect the bike, I "ride within my limits" and I'm not "crazy with the throttle", I've learned within these past two weeks of owning this bike that there's much more
Factors in learning how to ride a bike safely and responsibly.

Man, I wish I could ride a ninja 250 so badly. I should have listened to everyone on the forums, I'm sorry I didn't listen. Please just pray that I won't get hurt or run into any tough Situations. please if anyone, even one person, reads this post, I'd be grateful.

And please, please, please, if you know someone who wants to start riding, make sure they start out on a smaller displacement bike! I don't want anyone else to ever go through my first motorcycle experience! I am NOT, I repeat, NOT enjoying my first motorcycle experience at all!
It's past midnight at the moment, and I just can't fall asleep because of how much my bike scares me!! Ahh! If anyone reads this post, thank you so much!
​​​​​I got my first motorcycle 7 months ago a 2009 cbr 600 rr with a power commander 5 on it laid it down twice already getting good at changing fearings wouldn't trade her for anything if it happens dust yourself off and get back on her

Cuda (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 01:28 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It has to be said, if you've bought yourself a 600RR and you're scared of it and fancy a trade in deal, I can put you in touch with a great Volvo dealer I believe he also has a varied stock of one careful owner Prius cars, heated seats electric back massager seat covers and cup holders are an option ... just sayin

Geez, tough Crowd

Last edited by Cuda; 02-18-2024 at 03:35 PM.
dannoxyz (02-20-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 12:02 AM

My first EVER bike was a Kawasaki Ninja 600. I had JUST turned 18, got my license(s) and thought I knew everything. I mean, I've been riding bicycles all my life and this was after all just a motorized bicycle!

Biggest mistake ever. I looked cool for a total of five minutes before I let things get out of hands at a small turn. I was like "oh yeah knee drag time!" so not understanding how to take a corner, I leaned over, and over, and all the way down to the ground with the entire side of the bike with me holding on for life haha. Thankfully I was on the outside lane so it was straight out into the grass for me and the bike. Besides a slight road rash, and some cuts I was fine. But I was scared haha. And deservedly so. I wasn't going more than 30. I've since made many corners just fine. But I remember each corner that time as an idiot 18 year old and it helps remind me, I may know how to corner but there are still things I don't know.

I know this has been said by everyone and their aunts, but I feel a 250 is a good place to start. Maybe even a 350 if you feel daring. May be some bigger bikes out there that are decent as a first time bike like the Husqverna Svartpilen (Black arrow) that aren't over the top. But I'd rather drop a cheap 250 than a more expensive bike.

dannoxyz (03-30-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 01:15 PM
Welcome crew
Received 324 Likes on 301 Posts

For those very reasons and a progressively 'nanny' state the route to a 'big' motorcycle licence in the UK is a stepped and graduated process.
In the good old days you could apply for your your licence or if you already had a car licence you go out and get a 250cc bike. Pass your test buy a 1000cc and end up badly injured or if you were very lucky survive!!
They progressively clamped down over the years introducing power and age limits.
The route to a big bike licence is detailed below for anyone suffering from insomnia: But fair to say is quite draconian and has hurt the biking community in the UK along with very high insurance:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...le-licence.pdf
The majority of us bikers are now getting on a bit and before long will be a dying breed (quite literally)

Old 03-29-2024, 12:16 AM
Received 392 Likes on 354 Posts

I really regret getting 600RR too soon! It slowed down my learning and improvement rate significantly. Took me over 10-yrs to learn and progress to "fast" rider on track when I could've done it in 1-yr! Here's how my progression went:

1. started out with VF500F in 1986, learned all usual stuff, got licensed, rode around lots in S.F. Bay Area, then went to university at UCSB and rode around there lots.

2. then in 1996, I figured I was ready for bigger faster bike, so I got Ducati 748, wow, was that ever fun! Similar nimble-handling like the 500, but with more powah!!! I started doing trackdays at Willow Springs, Buttowillow, occasionally up to Laguna Seca. I gradually got faster and faster, but progress wasn't as quick as I wanted.

3. in 2003, breakthrough 600RR came out and it was 4-5sec/lap faster than my 748!! Just had to get it and sold Ducati. I immediately chopped off 3-4sec/lap from my times, but I wasn't satisfied. I was still 15sec/lap off lap-records for this bike! WTF?#$! I spent the next 10-yrs doing tonne of trackdays, 20-30/yr and I only managed to chop off 5sec more. But was still 10sec slower than fastest times!!!

I asked my coaches for even more help, though they thought my progress was decent and I should be happy. They said that I wasn't fully utilizing braking and cornering ability of bike and was using its speed on straights to go fast.

Some of them suggested I get small 250 and go racing. So I picked up Ninja 250 and signed up with AFM Racing. Took their NRS class and did my 1st race that very weekend! Wow.. was that humbling, I finished dead last!!!!

Ninja 250 was so light, it braked so hard, it was pulling tears out of my eyes and splattering them on inside of visor!!! I took every chance to tap race coaches and fellow racers for tips on getting faster. I increased my trackday practices to 25-35/yr. I followed faster racers around every chance I could to learn their lines and techniques. Before I knew it, my 1st race season was over and I claimed 2nd overall in 250 championship! Wow! I managed to chop off 15-20s from my laptimes from beginning of season! Well, I claim some of that initial sluggishness was getting used to 250's amazing braking & cornering ability, it was scary!

Over season break, I went back to 600RR and did all my usual tracks. Immediately I was 5sec/lap faster than I had ever been!!! I made more improvement in that single year on 250, than all 10-years of tracking 600RR combined!!! So yeah, if I had to do it over again, I shouldn't have wasted 10-yrs trying to learn cornering, braking and lines on 600RR. I would've started on 250 and gone straight to racing school!

On Ninja 250, I can rub elbows using street tyres!

At Laguna Seca, no one can keep up with me. R1 took me couple laps, I finally got around him!

Last edited by dannoxyz; 03-30-2024 at 10:15 PM.
Al1040 (03-29-2024)