General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 CBR 929RR rear backseat taillight wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 CBR 929RR rear backseat taillight wiring help

Hello everyone I’m in desperate need of help with my 2001 CBR 929RR. My running tail light doesn’t work, but the front brake light does work just not the rear. But my main issue is the wiring that’s totally chopped up from the previous owner and I cannot find a single person yet who can help or understands what’s going on. I don’t know what wires go to where. I’m new to bikes but not to cars, I’m a mechanic but literally have no clue what’s happening. If someone could help me out that would be amazing. I’ll attach and image so you guys understand the Tom Foolery happening with these wires. Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Old 05-10-2024, 07:35 AM
Welcome crew
Received 326 Likes on 303 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure we can help you out.
You really need to get hold of the wiring diagramme for the bike tho.
I personally do not have the diagramme for this bike, but one of the other will be along shortly to guide you though this with the correct method and ability to identify which wire should go where.
If similar to the F4I then:
Light Blue and Green are L/H turn signal
Green / Yellow, Green and Black / Brown x2 are for Brake and Tail Lights
Green and Black / Brown are for the License Light
Green and Orange are for the R/H Turn signal
It does look pretty close as far as I can tell from the picture.

The following users liked this post:
dannoxyz (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 12:21 PM
Received 410 Likes on 371 Posts

Greetings and Salutations!! Relax… take deep breath…. You can do this… It looks overwhelming with all those wires! Just need to stop trying to "forge ahead" and "get things done" and take some steps back... Instead, you'll want to fix harness and restore back to factory OEM configuration with original connectors. Fix this one wire at time… Before you know it, ALL wires are done and back to OEM configuration and your bike will work like brand-new off showroom floor! This is literally 5-minute repair!

Here’s wiring diagram for your bike. Although you really only need taillight section posted above.

1. Restore harness back to OEM configuration with factory connectors. You’ll need:

2x 2-wire connectors for harness (turn signals): https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.p...ategory_id=278
2x 2-wire connectors for turn-signals: https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=415
1x 3-wire connector kit for harness (taillight/brake light): https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=218
1x 3-wire connector kit for taillight/brake light: https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=221

2. Add factory OEM connectors to integrated taillight. One 3-wire connector for brake/taillight and 2x 2-wire connectors for turn-signals.

I did write-up for restoring harness back to factory OEM condition here: https://www.600rr.net/threads/diy-co...arness.587929/

Note, if you've got LED lights, you'll also need to add ballast-resistors in parallel with turn-signal bulbs to prevent hyperflashing. Or replace flasher-relay with solid-state LED-compatible unit (not all solid-state ones are LED-compatible).

Finally after you've restored harness back to factory condition and added matching connectors on taillight, installation is as simple as this, DONE!

Last edited by dannoxyz; 05-10-2024 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:51 PM

While you’re waiting for connectors to come in, you can map taillight wires.

1. Disconnect light from harness. Remove 2x connected wires; we’re going to add connectors to them all.

2. map taillight wires and their functions. With 5x free ends, use some alligator test jumpers to determine which wire does what:

- connect one end of red jumper to battery +pos.
- connect one end of blk jumper to battery -neg

blk - ground, connect other end of blk jumper to this
brn - touch free end of red jumper to this, what lights up??
wht - then touch this, what lights up?
yel - ???
grn - ???

Attached Thumbnails 2001 CBR 929RR rear backseat taillight wiring help-img_2284.jpeg   2001 CBR 929RR rear backseat taillight wiring help-img_2286.jpeg  

Last edited by dannoxyz; 05-10-2024 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:08 PM

Next, repair & restore harness with factory OEM connectors. Crimp male terminals onto these harness wires and shove into female connector housings.

left turn signal 2-wire connector = grn + org

right turn signal 2-wire connector = grn + lt.blu

tail/brake light 3-wire connector = grn + brn/wht + grn/yel

That’s it! Harness has been repaired back to factory OEM condition and bike’s halfway restored to brand-new condition like when it left showroom floor!

hmmm, looks like your wiring for license-plate light got snipped too… No reason whatsoever to hack up harness like this. No benefits of any kind. Only causes headaches and endless blowing of fuses! PO should get sound spanking!!

Last edited by dannoxyz; 05-10-2024 at 09:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Al1040 (05-11-2024)